1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sorry UConn, The Real Women's College Basketball Streak Record is 131

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Before UConn, There Was Wayland Baptist Although UConn can match U.C.L.A.’s major-college record of consecutive victories, the Huskies remain far short of the 131 straight games that Wayland Baptist won from 1953 to ’58 — a streak that began early in the first term of the Eisenhower administration, remained aloft as McDonald’s golden arches first appeared along with Dear Abby and Frisbees, then fell from orbit two months after Sputnik.

Wayland’s unsurpassed but little-known streak began nearly two decades before the legislative decree known as Title IX prohibited sex discrimination in education in 1972, and nearly three decades before the N.C.A.A. began sponsoring women’s basketball in 1982.

It was instead an era when women found sporting opportunities in the Amateur Athletic Union, often in rural communities on semipro teams with business sponsors, before athletic prospects later blossomed on college campuses by federal mandate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/sports/ncaabasketball/19wayland.html?_r=3&hp

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Re: Sorry UConn, The Real Womens Basketball Streak Record is 131

DP,

I was waiting for someone to post on this. It is an interesting sports question. Wayland wasn't in the NCAA and they played by a vastly different set of rules than today. Does this count? I would say no, but will listen to anyone who says yes.

I am a Syracuse grad and gladly note the basketball team has two pre NCAA tournament titles. Just because it isn't stamped by the NCAA and ESPN, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Probably depends on how you want to refer to it: As a college basketball streak or an NCAA basketball streak. I have no problem with acknowledging them as two different records. Then again, give Geno two more years, and he'll probably top that one, too.

4. Deeper_Background

Aunt Bea, the ball is in your court over at USA Today.

5. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Re: Sorry UConn, The Real Womens College Basketball Streak Record is 131

It has a lot more in common with the UConn record than the UCLA men's does.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yep. If you're going to lump men's records with women's records you need to include all college records.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think her correct response will start with "buh... buh... buh..."

8. Deeper_Background

Exactly. Until a female player plays in the NBA for a long stretch

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It's Aunt Bee, but otherwise, I agree.

10. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be like trying to say that Joe Blow's 57-game hitting streak in 1915 for the Baltimore Terrapins of the old Federal League is the real record, and not DiMaggio's?

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

As far as I know Federal League, American Association, Player's League et al. stats are all considered official stats by MLB. No one talks about them much because these leagues vanished almost 100 years ago or more. I know a lot of Hall of Famers from the early years of professional baseball accumulated stats from these leagues.

Draft saved Draft deleted