1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sorry, Sweetness, that's illegal. Replay the down!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Mar 20, 2013.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WHgTyXEG14

You know where I'm going. Discuss.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Just take the damn helmets away. Guys will still lower their shoulders, but they won't be using their heads as weapons. Hell they can wear skull caps with logos on them instead.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sorry, Jack Tatum, that's illegal. First down!

4. JimmyK

JimmyK New Member

That would be a defenseless receiver. The defenders trying to tackle Walter... not so much.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I like how the NFL's primary talking point is, "It's only the crown of the helmet that comes into play. You can still use your facemask and top of the front of the helmet." Yeah, well, the only way to "lead" with the front of the helmet is to run completely upright — which is much more dangerous than trying to protect yourself and absorb the defender's blow — or be a relative of Merton Hanks.

I also enjoyed that my twitter feed was inundated the last couple of hours with NFL-affiliated links to stories about the league returning to L.A., the 2014 Pro Bowl, Roger Goodell's new puppy ... Everything but that stupid, dangerous new rule.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You would have to run like Forrest Gump

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That garbage rule passed? Ew.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not to mention the fact that, as we saw last year, at full speed, any contact near the head looks like a head shot whether it is or not and gets flagged even if it's not an infraction.

There's no fucking way an official can distinguish between the "crown" and "front" of the helmet at game speed.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Nope.

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I think the NFL will have to eventually re-teach the way it's players tackle. They need to turn the tackling more into a rugby approach of wrapping up and keeping your head up. As mentioned above, maybe it is time for leather helmets or Rugby style helmets.

And just because...

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH! That was the way players were taught to tackle. But at some point, it became cooler to try and get on Sportscenter than it did to use your fucking arms to tackle someone. Fucking ESPN.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

yes, fucking espn.

Draft saved Draft deleted