1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Sorry, NFL: Baseball Is Still America's Pastime'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

In the case of St. Louis, the Cardinals have been there longer and won more consistently. Fan support isn't established overnight. It takes decades to become ingrained in the culture. If the Cubs ever had, say, five consecutive winning seasons, with a couple of pennants along the way, they'd be the toast of Chicago.

I'd venture a guess that the Red Sox are the top draw in Boston right now, even with the Patriots and Bruins winning.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Joe, that's my point. In the other sports, you miss the first period, or quarter or inning and you may well miss something important. With basketball, especially the pros, I feel like I can turn on a game at the start of the fourth quarter and haven't missed much.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not worth a separate thread, so I'll just post it here.....

This is the rare week when all five major pro sports leagues are playing games that count at the same time.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Are you including NASCAR?

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Some people like some things.
    And some people like other things.
    Wee children learn this in formative youth.
    Nobody cares what sport you prefer over another.

6. joe

joe Active Member

St. Louis for sure. Maybe New York.

Chicago has divided baseball loyalties, but the Bears are the city's unifying sports presence.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I said "damn near anything." Not every single event.

Also, do people not put those tickets up on StubHub or any of the other ticket sites? Maybe they don't. I haven't checked. But it seems like you can find a ticket to just about anything else online.

Edit: I looked. StubHub has tickets for all the games you mentioned.

http://www.stubhub.com/duke-basketball-tickets/

Please pass this info along to your friend.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

St. Louis always... New York, Boston and Chicago most of the time... Los Angeles is a basketball city whether it has a football team or not. Detroit is hockey first. The rest of the country, if they have a football and a baseball team, favor the NFL team.

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Cincinnati is a Reds town.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It seems to me that the Giants and 49ers both enjoy large followings. Same for Baltimore with the Orioles and Ravens. And in Atlanta, the Braves and Falcons seem to generate equal amounts of disinterest.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only time the interest in the Giants was anything close to the 49ers was during the 49ers' decade of suckitude, which coincided with Bonds breaking Aaron's record, winning the first World Series in ages and being in one of the best ballparks in the country. I was going to SF last year and a buddy of mine asked if I wanted to go to the 49ers game and then he found out tickets were going for $300 apiece.

When the Falcons are good, Atlanta seems to get excited. Over a decade ago, when the Braves were in the playoffs, I walked up to the ticket office the day of the game and bought tickets. That should never happen anywhere for a playoff game.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You're out of your depth when it comes to recent times, specifically since the ballpark was built. The Giants are huge. They're both huge. A regular-season game against the Red Sox, Yankees or Dodgers, you'd have a hard time getting in the park for less than a hundred bucks either.

This is really getting to be a dumb argument. But the Giants, again, are huge. If TV ratings are your singular measure of what's a big deal, then you'd be right. But that would be a pathetically inept way of measuring it.

Draft saved Draft deleted