1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sorry in advance (another Reilly thread)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bullwinkle, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Just read --- okay, skimmed --- Rick Reilly's latest offering. The column obviously stunk, but we're used to that by now as he has mailed in every column since joining dot-com. No, the problem I have with this one is that it reads like he's basically making up quotes for his friends.

Nobody actually talks like this. Everything that comes out of his friend(s) mouth is completely Reilly'd. Maybe it is supposed to be assumed that it is not really his friends talking here. But if that's the case, duh.

Am I missing something?

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=reilly_rick&id=4281277

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Fixed.

3. Duh.

That said, I agree. The column stunk. And I like more of Reilly's stuff than most here.
    The whole thing got old quickly. I couldn't read anymore and literally skipped the last few graphs of 'quotes' to get to the ending.

4. Yes. You are missing something!

Gently: these are fake characters. Reilly has used them for years. Like the late Ralph Wiley's "Road Dog," they are fictional devices.

(Don't be embarrassed!)

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Now I feel like an idiot. And here I thought my former favorite columnist was losing his fastball.

6. Don't worry - seriously, your instincts were more or less correct; you correctly noted that the quotes sounded fishy and very much like those Reilly himself would utter. Your B.S. Detector was reading 8 when it should've read 9.6. Don't worry.

7. Also, Reilly HAS lost his fastball. So you're doing even better than I thought you were doing.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Your former favorite columnist lost his fastball years ago.
    Then he started cashing paychecks without caring.
    Now, he is embarrassing himself, and laughing all the way to the bank.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it.

I guess I'M the asshole. Then again, I don't expect a story that will blow me away and leave me speechless every time the guy writes.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Slats Grobnik thinks this is no big deal.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I wish I had the time machine from Calvin and Hobbes so I could go back and bring the early SI Reilly to see what the 2009 Rick Reilly is doing. Either the early SI Reilly would kick 2009's ass for being a sellout who just wants facetime and paychecks, good journalism be damned, or he would high-five himself for achieving his dreams and I would slink off to a corner to cry.

Rick Reilly influenced me more than any journalist. Reading some of my early clips is physically painful for me since it reads like a 22-year old kid doing a really bad Rick Reilly impression...because that is what I was. I have been going through the Seven Stages of Grief reading his stuff. Right now I am at anger, but turning the corner toward depression. This is not a guy who lost his fastball. This is a guy who decided that his fastball wasn't as important as book deals, TV facetime and being a "celebrity."

Ryan, I don't expect to be blown away by every single Reilly column. Even at his peak, Reilly didn't nail everything. No one does. But he has been mailing in his columns, with very few exceptions, for a few years. I want to consistently read a Reilly column that doesn't feel like he wrote in 20 minutes in between SportsCenter standups.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Reading that column happily used up less of my life than usual, it was so ultra-lite. So it's got that going for it.

Please, no one break down what the author earned for that bit of craftsmanship, on a per-column basis. My dog does not want to get kicked.

Draft saved Draft deleted