1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sorry, Detroit. You lost me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FileNotFound, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

First off, FNF, I'm sorry that the vehicle let you down. But I can't say as I'm the least bit surprised.

My mother was insistent on Chevy Blazers, some of the worst pieces of crap on the road, for years. One time, she asked me to take it and get it washed. I did, came back and threw the keys on the floor and told her to get the brakes fixed.

"But they're not supposed to work as well as they do on your car," she answered. I drove a '96 Nissan Maxima at the time (not the most gifted stopping machine, either) - I wasn't buying that BS line. On top of the other maladies that always struck those Blazers, usually there would be more squeaks and rattles in those crapboxes at the 20,000-mile mark that one would find in a baby or pet toy. Just ridiculous.

I understand she can buy what she wants, and both my parents know what I think of SUVs. At least this time around, she bought a Honda CR-V. I suspect she'll have much less trouble with this one.

Come to think of it, I bought the first Honda-type vehicle more than four years ago. The rest of my family's vehicles are Hondas. That's probably no coincidence.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I bought my Civic Hybrid after doing all my shopping online. I didn't set foot in the dealership until it was time to sign the papers. That was the product of hearing other people's complaints about the whole car-buying appearance, both "American" and non-American dealerships (in quotes because my Honda was built in Tennessee).

Did I err in not taking it for a test-drive? Probably, but the car has given me no trouble at all in a little more than three years. (knocking furiously on my desk)

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Dealers are a prime example of case-by-case. I had three dealerships act as if I had no clue what a vehicle was. The one that did figure it out - and had the car I really wanted in my color (options were a non-issue ... this particular vehicle was pretty much set on that one) got my business.

And they have been first class in everything they've done since.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I drove my 88 Blazer for 13 years, put 200,000 miles on it. Chevy paint is crap. Needed to replace the water pump, starter motor and alternator along the way. But the truck was decent. Original tranny. A mechanic gave me about $1,500 for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted