1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sorry, Detroit. You lost me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FileNotFound, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever buy a car from an American car company again.

The quality of their product is lousy at best.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

So the guy came out this morning ready to fix my car. I get in to show him what's wrong. "So, the car starts, but then this light comes on and it won't shift out of -- " and suddenly, I'm in reverse.

Nice.

But then the "Coolant Level Low" warning comes on, and the traction control won't turn on, and the passenger air bag warning light is on.

So it's at the dealer now, which reminds me that the warranty (and roadside assistance, free loaner, etc.) is the only advantage of buying a car new (and even at that, it's a dubious advantage). But the other reason I buy new cars is so this very thing won't happen.

I'm 2.5 hours late to work, I had to cancel a meeting (which allows me time to post here!) and I'm not driving my car -- which, up to today, I absolutely loved.

I'm a computer guy. I know enough about supporting software systems to know that I'd prefer to NOT have one running my car, unless I have access to the Ctrl-Alt-Delete key.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's pretty fucking funny.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I have more than 400,000 miles on one vehicle and more than 200,000 on the other. The combined maintenance costs on the two combined are (so far) way less than a monthly payment on a new one.

Both are Chevys.

To be fair to the thread title, though, one was assembled in Wisconsin and the other in Louisiana.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry about your onboard computer. I agree that Toyota and Honda dealers treat you like crap, by the way -- especially Honda.

They act like they are doing you a favor waiting on you.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Had some minor woes with the Explorer.
    Went to the Ford dealer because the driver's side door lock stopped working. New motor for it, $65, labor $250.
    I asked how much to change a lightbulb in the dashboard, $300.
    The rear window wiper never worked right, the blade didn't hit the window all the way around around, then got stuck between the body and window, blurning out the motor. Ford wanted $400 for that.
    So my tab was going to be over $1,000 for nothing that had anything to do with keeping the truck runnning.
    I had to get the door lock fixed, but passed on the lightbulb and the rear wiper.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I guess I'm surprised by the Honda dealership woes. I've never had any problems with them. I would think it would depend on the individual dealer, not the brand anyways.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That's why.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I drive a Toyota Highlander. Love it.

The only American car I've ever had was a Jeep Grandwagoneer, with the fake wood and a V6 engine. I miss that thing almost daily. But I'm glad I'm not having to keep gas in it anymore.

I may go back for another Jeep one day, but I doubt it.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

John, the car I miss most is the 1972 Jeep Grand Wagoneer I bought in 1990.

I loved that thing, even though it didn't have the faux wood. I was devestated when it was totalled seven years later. I curse that woman who pulled out in front of me (I had the right of way) every single time I see a Wagoneer.

I've not had anything but Jeeps since then. Two Cherokees and now a Wrangler, I'll never buy anything but Jeeps.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ah, my first car was a 1987 Jeep Cherokee. Four door, burgundy. I loved that car. Drove it through high school, all of college (where I wrecked it pretty good but kept driving it, mangled left-front and all), and a few years into my first job. Even proposed to my wife in it -- we were in St. Augustine, Fla., I was supposed to pop the question it on the beach but it was pouring rain so we just sat in the car and I pulled out the ring.

We finally got rid of it just before our wedding; it was on its last legs and we didn't want to drive a smashed-up car out of state to our wedding. My wife cried when we handed over the keys.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

If you want a "new" Grand Wagoneer...

http://wagonmaster.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted