1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sorority: No fat chicks, minorities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Loved being Independent at my small school and I avoided the frat bar at all costs, just because it was a brawlhouse. I preferred the nice, cozy Irish Pub, just a mere five minutes from campus.

Me and the editorial page editor had many a draught of Killians and a cigar after the paper was gone for the week.

2. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

So attractive, skinny girls have STDs and others don't?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You go to these things to pick up girls, right? So do other guys. The "pass around packs" as they were called when I was in college, uh, get around more. That increases the chances.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There's a reason some of us called them the M&M girls.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I was in a fraternity in college.
    Big whoop. The two sets of college friends I'm still close with are fraternity brothers and the campus newspaper staff. The guys I played football with? A little, when we run into each other, but none of us stay in regular contact or maybe I'm not privy to those gatherings.
    We also had DZs on my campus.
    You know what a DZ and a turtle have in common? Once they get on their backs, they're both fucked.
    And we had "pass arounds" at my college as well. Some were very pretty and some, umm, weren't, but as a group they all had self-esteem issues.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think the Greek life can be summed up well by this thread:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/38049/

7. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Yeah. What he said.

8. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I think that's one of the most stereotypical message board posts I've ever read.

I'm not in a fraternity, although I might as well be since I primarily attend greek functions. At my state school, it doesn't go down like that story. The camraderie, life lessons and impressive philantrhopic efforts are always overshadowed by stories like these in the media, leading to such illfounded notions.

But I guess it's true what they say about one bad apple spoiling the box.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

CR, I respectfully disagree.

I attended a big state school where Greek life dominated. My roommate was in a sorority. I dated a frat boy from another school. My brother was a frat president at a third school. I know what I speak of.

10. Believe me, there's plenty of shady, sketchy dudes that are GDI's as well. There's plenty of shady athletes and there are plenty of shady fraternity kids. It's a pretty broad brush you're painting with when you say four out of every six kids wearing greek letters are bad apples.

I'm not going to champion Greek life. It was fine for me. But to say that the majority of kids in fraternities are bad kids, well, that's just wrong. Obviously, there's the publicized shit, but there's a lot of kids throughout society that behave the same way.

I've seen much worse shit at athlete parties than any Greek party I've been to.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

CR, most people dislike Greek life for a reason. It tends to bring out the worst in people, esp. (IMO) men.

My best friend from high school was in a frat (Delta Upsilon) that got caught with over 200 roofies. I partied with him and his brothers on multiple occasions. Who knows what would have happened to me if he hadn't thought of me as his sister most of the time.

12. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Oh, I don't think I missed much. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted