1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sorority: No fat chicks, minorities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Well since a friend of a friend of SportsChick's was at a fraternity house that had that there, that means all fraternity members are rapists!

A lot of black people in the inner-city smoke crack.

Better not let any more black people into college or give 'em jobs.

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

How dense are you? Seriously? I didn't try to "justify" anything, as I've explained a million times. But you hear what you want to hear. Maybe you should go start another thread about all of your "boy toys." More up your alley.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Pringle, I truly do mean to say this will some level of civility, but your statement gives me the impression you assume the entire female gender is controlled by one gigantic brain, ala the BORG in Star Trek. Women can be raped, and other women can still make foolish decisions to show up at frat parties, completely oblivious to the dangers. You refered to "women" like there is some consensus. Feminists don't speak or make decisions for the entire female gender any more that Al Sharpton speaks for every African American. Hillary Clinton can't tell "women" what to do any more than Courtney Love can. It's the silliest assumption in the world to think that, because a women's group condems all of fraternity life based on a small number of incidents, a telepathic newsletter is going to go out to all women, convincing them to not show up. These are naive kids making decisions they don't have the experience or the maturity level to fully understand. That's a part of growing up. Women are going to make bad choices that put them in danger again and again and again from now until the end of time. So are men. It's human nature.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I got my Bitch magazine in the mail yesterday. My feminist cred is good for a while.

But in the event the above descriptions were a veiled shot at me, allow me to expound upon my claim that I know what I speak of:

- my brother was a frat president at a mid-major school with a decent Greek presence. I visited on occasion and "partied" there twice;
    - he has had two serious sorority girlfriends that I was forced to spend time with, one-on-one, in family settings and in Greek settings;
    - I attended a big state school with a huge Greek presence and had a roommate who pledged a sorority;
    - I also attended a mid-major school and dated a frat boy. We spent a lot of time at the house, because he lived there, but I never "partied" there;
    - after college I worked for a big state school in the student affairs office, which oversaw Greek life on campus

If you count them up, that's five schools where I'm familiar with Greek life. Through both males and females. As a friend, sister, girlfriend(?) and employee.

When I was a college freshman I attended frat parties, because that's what everyone did. It was literally go to the frat house or stay in the dorm by yourself. Even though I went, I was smarter than to separate from my friends. I know girls who got in trouble, and of course the rumors were rampant along with documented bad behavior.

Though I was personally in a more secure situation going to my brother's house for parties (I knew all the guys, and they weren't going to mess with his sister), I was older and realized what a bad situation was created at those events. Looking back, I realized it wasn't much different at the big state school.

I am not anti-frat by day and party girl by night, and I resent the, ahem, oversimplified generalization that all women who are anti-frat must secretly want to party and hook up with the guys.

I do what I can, by pointing out the lack of lighted hallways in his house to my brother (they did nothing), having a conversation with my college-bound cousins about staying safe, and expressing my opinion and the reasons for it in situations like this.

I am not against college organizations, nor am I against groups who do it right. I am not against partying or hooking up if the situation is safe and both parties are consenting. Hell, it's college. Have fun. But don't be stupid.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

No, I do believe it does. But predators are predators because they're predators, not because they are in a fraternity.

The righteous indignance some people are showing on here (not you) about a dissenting point of view after the way they've attacked something that others hold dearly is amazing.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Pringle, given how defensive you\\\\\\\'ve become, I\\\\\\\'m betting you know that what we say does go on, and you just can\\\\\\\'t bring yourself to admit it because you wouldn\\\\\\\'t do something like that.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

We are venturing into polarizing, hot-button territory here (if not firmly planted there already), so I will say this one more time:

Please try to be civil about this and avoid name-calling and personal attacks. Anyone with a strong opinion on these issues already knows the potential for this to escalate, and I respect everyone trying to educate the other side about his or her viewpoint. The tendency for people to be reflexively defensive is no stranger to the subject matter, which -- I might add -- is not the main point of the original post.

I am not saying a thread cannot spread its wings. Just be careful, and try to persuade, not smack. This could be an enlightening thread if you allow it.

That said, my duties elsewhere today will force me to quickly lock this thread and throw away the key if it gets nasty.

(And as quickly as there are updates to this thread, I have no way of knowing whose post will appear immediately before this one, so let me say also: This is directed at the entire board, not just people who have posted here, and not just to whomever has the post immediately preceding this one.)

So anyway, careful.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

No veiled shots intended. I'm not that subtle.

With proper oversight and strong leadership, fraternities and sororities should be positive experiences and lead to valuable individual growth. Like any other institution, from government to college athletics, there are people who take advantage of the system and pervert it for their own advantage.

That doesn't make the institution itself a poor one, not intrinsically.

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I had seriously never heard of a "roofie" in my life until you wrote it. Believe what you want.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's like the Nancy Grace theory of relativity...

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

sc, I've read the recent exchange, and all I can come away with it is what Pringle said: You're only hearing what you want to hear.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That's pretty much the story of this board, as I see it.

This board is every bit as "fraternal" as the things you people are ripping on.

Draft saved Draft deleted