1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sorority: No fat chicks, minorities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I wrote that and I stand by it. When people misrepresent the facts and generalize, then they clearly don't understand.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There is a huge difference between picking up a guy in a bar and rape. That you equate the two says a lot about your character.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Please refrain from personal attacks. I do not want to lock a thread I think speaks to important issues, but if this turns into a name-calling thread, it will be locked.

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

What I meant is that I find it hard to believe that women are so fearful about rape at a fraternity house when they continue to show up in droves whenever the doors swing open.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sorry Pringle, but SC's writing about hunks and your writing about rape are two entirely different subjects, and to compare the two smacks of desperation.

Unfortunately, whether it's what you intended or not, what you posted basically made it sound like, "If these girls know it's going to happen, why do they show up?" Unfortunately, no matter how you cut it, that's blaming the victims.

The more ideal response, whether it's frat or not, would be to focus on how so many rapes happen at parties like this and what should be done to combat the problem. Telling girls not to show up isn't the solution.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And Pringle, they're there to party, not to get raped. I stand a chance of getting held up if I go see an Astros game because of the crime in downtown Houston, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't go. It means they should take care of the crime.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I agree, although based on Pringle's past postings, I'm not convinced this was a deliberate attempt to blame the victims. Standing by what was said could change my opinion, though.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

What I am saying is this:

And I am generalizing here:

This is what women say out loud when everyone's listening: "Fraternity men are nothing but rapists! I fear for my life at those places!"

This is what women say out loud when Friday night rolls around: "Let's go to the Lambda house and get plastered!"

It's not that rape is justified. Of course not.

It's that I find it difficult to believe that women as a whole really feel so fearful about fraternities when they continue to show up by the hundreds at these places every time someone swings the doors open waving free alcohol.

But to keep your feminist cred, you're supposed to bash fraternities, so that's what they say. I just don't think the actions match the message.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And I understand what you're trying to say, but wouldn't you agree that a better tack to take, rather than question why women continue to attend these parties, is to wonder what can be done to stop making them hotbeds of rape?

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

But, see, I don't think they are. That's the point.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

As I said earlier on this thread, a very close friend of mine was in a frat, which was caught with over 200 roofies. Don\\\'t try to tell me that rape doesn\\\'t occur at fraternity houses and don\\\'t try to justify it with the \\\"women still show up\\\" shit. Of course they do. It\\\'s free beer, and good chunk of women who get raped don\\\'t tell a soul at the time, because they don\\\'t think they\\\'ll be believed.

12. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I have no idea what a "roofie" is.

Draft saved Draft deleted