1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soriano to Cubs: espn report

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't know, Zito in the NL could be pretty dominating.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

As dominating as Mulder & Hudson?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, Zito doesn't have arm problems - like Mulder - and his frame is better suited to pitch over a long period of time. I am pretty sure Hudson got hurt a couple of times with the A's, while Zito has never missed a start. He is a big, lanky left hander and I think he is better built than the other two.
    Just because Mulder and Hudson sucked last year doesn't suddenly mean that every Oakland A's pitcher ever will suck no matter what.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

No, but it would make me think twice before I matched Omar's 5 year $75 million offer - a guess.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I bet Zito gets six years, at least. If we know how well Zito stacks up to his rapidly aging ex-A's counterparts, I'm sure Boras has already devised a 256-page book about it.

7. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Zito is trending the same way as Mulder and Hudson. His WHIP was 1.40 for the second time in three years in 2006. That's not ace territory. That's Jeff Suppan territory.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

And look what Jeff Suppan did in the NL the last two years, he was a solid pitcher. Obviously not worth what Zito will make, but a solid pitcher.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

And next year, Suppan's not going to be worth what Suppan will make.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree with that, especially if he comes to the AL East (you better not sign him Cashman).
    I just don't think that Zito's career is about to fall off as bad as Hudson's and Mulder's. The only reason people are saying that is because all three pitched together in Oakland and I don't think that is a valid reason to assume anything.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, the fact that Zito's WHIP keeps going up and he seems to nibble at the corners more and more each year is a valid reason. Moving to the NL should help, though.

You are correct that the comparison to Mulder is crap. Mulder's problem the fact that he can't stay healthy and he is usually either unavailable or trying to pitch when he isn't 100 percent.

Draft saved Draft deleted