1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soriano Back In The Bronx

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Deal done: http://tracking.si.com/2013/07/26/report-yankees-complete-alfonso-soriano-trade/?xid=nl_siextra

Looking back I think The Yankees would have been better off keeping Soriano
    and never trading him for Aroid.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You know, Boom, I covered that trade for the Herald, and the Yankee players I talked to, especially Jeter, all stated that losing Soriano was a considerable price to pay even for a player with A-Rod's numbers.

3. Boom_70

He was on upward plain when he was traded. Had monster year in 2002 with
    39 HR's , 102 RBI's , 41 SB's and .300 avg. Was a crowd favorite and proved
    that he could play in The Bronx. Somewhat homegrown player who by now would
    have been considered one of the all time Yankee greats. Aroid just never fit.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Any other team but the Cubs and I wouldn't have believed they got Alex Rodriguez in the trade

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A-Rod won MVPs in 2005 and 2007 in pinstripes and was an absolute beast in leading them to the World Series in 2009. He had one of the great seasons in Yankees history in '07 with 54 HR, 143 RBI and 1.067 OPS. He hit at least 30 HRs in his first seven seasons in the Bronx. Never fit?

I love Soriano and I'm glad to see him back in NY, but he hit 30 HRs in only five his 10 seasons outside NY, including just twice in the bandbox at Wrigley Field. Plus he's been a deficient defensive outfielder. Do you really think that he'd be an all-time Yankee great right now?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was beyond obvious that Yankee management freaked out over Soriano's admittedly wretched performance in the 2003 playoffs, which is why they agreed to put him in the trade. No, he's not as good as A-Rod was. On the other hand, he's still productive, and it's increasingly unlikely A-Rod will ever be that again, assuming he ever plays again.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The thing I've always liked about Soriano is that he always struck me as a guy who gave it everything he had when he was out there and by all accounts is a great guy in the clubhouse as well.

He's not putting up numbers now that are worthy of the contract Hendry gave him but it's not Soriano's fault Hendry was dumb enough to bid against himself.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yankee fans agreed in 2002:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/New+York+Yankees+All-Star+Alfonso+Soriano+and+Continental+Airlines...-a092089939

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In 2007, he hit 13 home runs at Wrigley Field and 20 on the road.

In 2012, he hit 15 home runs at Wrigley Field and 17 on the road.

10. Boom_70

Yes - never fit. Created constant circus atmosphere.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think I'm missing your point here, Dick.

No question about it, but your posts assert the Yankees would have been better off with Soriano and he would have become an all-time Yankee great. As I said, I love Soriano - I love the way he coils back just before the pitch is thrown then explodes into it, I love his attitude and I loved watching him on the basepaths - but he's not A-Rod, never was and never would have been if he'd stayed in New York.

Without A-Rod, the Yankees don't win the 2009 World Series. Do they win the 2004 ALCS and World Series with Soriano? Probably not, considering the way so many guys in pinstripes went in the tank after Game 3.

A-Rod has absolutely been a circus from the minute he arrived in NY. But I don't think you can really, honestly argue the Yankees would have been better off with Soriano.

12. Boom_70

Maybe "all time great " was not right term but perhaps " beloved Yankee" in vain of Paul O'Neill, Bernie Williams, Tino
    might be a better fit. The Yankees of 4 WS fame were built on players that were all solid team first types. Players that
    Yankee fans respected and wanted to root for. Clubhouse was calm and professional. Players brought it had to
    adapt to Yankee way as opposed to the other way around.

It all started to change when they brought in players like Clemens, Sheffield and Aroid. They became a
    traveling circus built on big name players that rarely came through in the clutch.

As a Yankee fan I would have much preferred watching Soriano the past 10 years in pinstripes than
    Aroid. I think most fans would have.

Draft saved Draft deleted