1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sopranos tease

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Feb 6, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

They were shooting at da Bing three days last week.. late afternoon, early evening

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Suddenly, after reading that story and this thread, I can't wait for April 8 to arrive.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

dog, i don't follow these things too closely but i thought i remember that it was he (or HBO) pressuring the actors, not the other way around. didn't they want more money, which was why we barely saw meadow and she moved to california?

anyway, we're in agreement about the first three seasons. i'll keep watching until the end.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Isn't this supposed to start around the middle of next month?

I'll be glad as hell it's back but DAMMIT, it's gonna be right during the NCAA tournament. Hope my hotels have HBO...

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I hadn't watched a single episode before my sister gave me the first season on DVD last month...

I watched all 13 episodes in two days and was itching to get the second season.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I used to think that, and maybe it's the time lag between Sopranos seasons, but The Wire is the better series. The Sopranos is cartoon-like compared with The Wire. Maybe it's because I live in the periphery of The Wire, both geographically and professionally, but I find it more compelling and true.

That aside, I'd like to love to see Tony whack Janice, a.) to kill that anoying bitch and b.) it would be very Godfathery.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

It was more the actors trying to pressure HBO for more money after the extended run had been finalized. Basically, at some point between season five and the mini-season, everyone started to realize the end was near. HBO was looking at losing Six Feet Under, Sex and The City and The Sopranos all in a year's time. They approached Chase about extending the series into 07. He was hesitant because it meant writing several episodes in a short time and making them fit with what he already had down, but instead of just declining the offer, he went to the actors for their thoughts. The main actors -- Gandolfini, Falco, etc. -- were in favor of it. So, the deal was done. And guarantees were made that this would absolutely be THE END of the show. So, the second-stringers, who when they first heard about the extended run were all for it, looked at the situation and said, "Hey, they can't do this shit without us, let's get paid." And they were determined to go the mattresses, so to speak, to get all they could.

Chase went to bat for those guys several times by telling HBO that without the supporting actors, the show couldn't go on. Eventually, the deal was done.

What HBO hoped was that in between the 06 mini-season and this April, they could develop one strong replacement show to take over. That hasn't happened. They've got a few possibilities in the works and a few successful shows that could carry some of the load, but nothing on the level of The Sopranos. So, they're right back where they were a little over a year ago -- looking at a big-ass hole in the schedule with the easiest option to fill it being re-upping The Sopranos for at least another mini-season.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

damn, dog, that's a good analysis. do you work in TV?

so i'm assuming now that he's had more time chase won't make half of this mini-season about some random character no one ever saw before (the gay guy...i've already forgotten his name...i want to say vito but i'm not sure).

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They're showing selected episodes on HBO, presumably to whet everybody's appetite all over again, and allow the longtime fans to catch up on the continuity.

Between the Vito/Johnny Cakes interlude and the Kevin Finnerty dream sequence, almost half of last season ('mini'-season) was piddled away on diversions.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Amen, Starman. Chase better not pull any of that crap down the stretch, or he's gonna regret it.

11. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

It will, however, set up the rest of the season quite nicely.

(Somebody had to say it).

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

April will be a great month for TV.
    Sopranos comes back April 8, but The Shield returns April 3.

Draft saved Draft deleted