1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sopranos tease

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Feb 6, 2007.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

No new info, but I love the classic Sil pose.

http://tinyurl.com/3atcnr

"All due respect, Tone......"

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Rumors continue to swirl that this season is not the end of The Sopranos.

There seems to be two options at this point:

1. The series will continue for an additional season in order for Chase to write this show's end in a way that will allow for a spinoff-type show. I assume this would mean the death of Tony and either AJ or one of the other capos taking over. The show would basically continue under a different name and with a somewhat different cast.

2. The series will continue for only an additional few more episodes, which could be tacked on to the end of this season, that would set up a "The Sopranos" movie. I assume this would mean Tony would bite it in the end and the finale of the whole series would be revealed in the movie.

Option No. 2 is apparently the favorite at this point. A friend of mine who has a rather good connection on the set said his guy put the chances at about 50-50 right now that the series won't end as currently scheduled.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sopranos may be entering Twin Peaks territory pretty soon.

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I don't want to see a Sopranos movie. I wouldn't mind seeing the series go on for a few more years. The show has plenty of gas in the tank...it certainly hasn't jumped the shark. There's enough material to mine from characters like Tony, Carmella and Christopher.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

dog, those are interesting scenarios.

until this past mini-season i thought sopranos was not just the best thing on TV, but arguably (and yeah, i know, it's highly arguable) the best show in TV history. but last mini-season sucked. big time. i kept watching because i like the characters and knowing so much about them makes me want to know what'll happen. but this thing just has to end. for the love of god, it's gotta end. please. and end in a satisfying way.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I have been going through the mini-season on my DVR, and it holds up better than I thought it would.

I truly think the anticipation led to unreachable expectations for this show.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"Where's my arc?"

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wire Walk With Me, Or I'll Whack Ya.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I said last year when all the bitching was going on here that the mini-season was basically pulled out of Chase's ass on short notice. And if you ever want to know why they give that guy so long to write this show, let the mini-season do the explaining for you. He's great when he's got time to lay this stuff out and come up with interesting storylines and scenarios for the characters. But when he's rushed and he's got to start calling in additional writers to help him out, the show sucks balls.

The reason he agreed to do the mini-season was because the cast pressured him into it. They wanted the extra money (I mean, let's be honest, where the hell else is Paulie Walnuts gonna make $100k an episode?) and he couldn't deny them, even if it meant the show suffered. So, there we were.

I'm betting the final(?) run of shows this spring will bring everyone back to reality -- that this is the best show on TV and second place is way in back.

I can also see Chase giving in to the actors and extending the run, especially if this season gets the critical acclaim it should. tyler is right, there's a whole lot of directions this show can take that would make great TV for years. Do they do it? We'll see.

10. You've obviously never seen The Wire.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

But not a friend of ours?

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I've seen The Wire. I'm a big fan.

There's no comparison between the two. It's like comparing An Inconvenient Truth to Departed. The Wire and The Sopranos are both well done, but for entertainment purposes, The Sopranos, when it's at its best, simply can't be touched.

The storylines, the dialogue and the acting contained in the first three seasons of The Sopranos will likely never be equaled by any TV show. It was a rare combination of talented writer, incredibly creative and complex story and perfect cast coming together. If you get two out of three, in most cases, you've got an Emmy winner. But to get all three and have all three be so damned good, you just don't find that.

Draft saved Draft deleted