1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sopranos add an hour

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Nov 21, 2006.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for a Best of..Da Bing. An hour of clips of the best fake tits in New Jersey.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hopefully hosted by Troy McClure.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Oh... I don't think Gandolfini is fine at all.

He is simply putrid in everything else he is in.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Gandolfini is a wonderful actor, Pube. Incredibly committed to the craft. Very good in True Romance, very good in Crimson Tide, respectable in Fallen, good in The Mexican (even though the rest of the film is total shit), and I'm very interested to see him in the HBO Hemingway biopic. He doesn't work very much, and when he does, he occasionally gets awful material (The Last Castle comes to mind, though I think he just jumped at the chance to work with Bob Redford), but the dedication he's put in to Tony Soprano -- the body language, the subtle gestures, the believable moments of both tenderness and rage -- has been awe inspiring. Without Gandolfini properly expressing Tony's deeply divided psyche and his infinite moral ambiguities, that show would never have received the kind of universal praise its gotten. He'll be just fine. So will Michael Imperioli and Edie Falco.

Of all the people who should be begging for a Sopranos movie or an additional season, I'd put Robert Iler, Jamie-Lynn Sigler and Lorraine Bracco in an unbreakable three-way tie for first.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

His voice is a pure distraction.

With the exception of True Romance.... as a mobster..... I disagree with your assessment.

6. Double Down

Well, 99 percent of the critics seem to be on my side, and they know far more about acting than the both of us.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Regarding his work on The Sopranos?

Sure. I agree with that.

He is sublime in his career role.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

From Phoebe Flowers' review of All The King's Men:

The story, which has been moved from the '30s to the '50s, is told mainly from the perspective of Jack Burden (Jude Law), a newspaper reporter who, for reasons that never really become clear, gets involved with Stark. Law slushes his way through a woozy yet wooden performance.

At least he's better than James Gandolfini as Tiny Duffy, "an unimaginative but cunning Louisiana political operative." (That description was lifted directly from the production notes, because Duffy's character, like so much else in this incoherent film, was mostly lost on us.) Gandolfini sounds, no kidding, like Tony Soprano half-trying to affect a Southern accent to make his buddies laugh.

9. Double Down

All The Kings Men was a horrendous movie across the board, so I don't see how Phoebe Flowers snarky opinion is evidence of anything. I'm not sure how the flim critic from the South Florida Sun Sentinel came to be the go-to film critic around here (I can think of 20 better, yet she always pops up for some reason), but since anecdotal evidence is apparently fair game in this argument, here is Roger Ebert (you know, Pulitzer Prize winner) on Gandolfini's performance in the Mexican.

And here is what he said about The Last Castle, a movie I did not like, but enjoyed Gandolfini's performance in.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Ebert's having won that award cheapens it, but, fine.

Let's check in with each other in a decade.

We each have our strong opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted