1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sopranos 6/10 -- THE END

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 7, 2007.

?

Is there going to be a movie?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Maybe

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Fuck you, David Chase

23 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

From that:

5. To start the family's literal last supper, Tony orders a bread-and-wine Eucharist "for the whole table" (though the "made in the USA" version: onion rings and soda).

I was born and raised Catholic. I've been in the USA my entire life. I've eaten a lot of onion rings. I would have never -- never -- looked at an onion ring as a metaphorical communion wafer. That theory seems to be gaining a lot of support, but it has yet to win me over.

But then again, I've never had a Holsten's onion ring.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think what is making that theory gain traction is that they each, in turn, put an onion ring on their tongue and close their mouth.

Nobody bites into an onion ring. Could be nothing, could be something.

In an unrelated note, I'm just getting around to the latest Klosterman, and he has an essay about Journey in there that he ends with...

"Don't stop believin'. I mean it. Don't."

Almost eerie...

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree. That's getting a little silly.

Maybe Tony, Carmela and AJ wolfed the whole thing down whole because they're slobs.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I've read thisd "Eucharist" theory before and it is not silly... it's downright ridiculous.

Do you think maybe, just maybe, we can stop overanalyzing every second of the final scene and take it for what Chase meant it to be..which is:
    Whatever you think happened, happened.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Yeah. As someone mentioned, the song listed under "Don't Stop Believin" on the Holsten's tabletop jukebox, the "B" side, if you will, was "Any Way You Want It."

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Hmmm.... Harpo did change his name to Hal.

7. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I've seen a lot of slobs, BYH, including myself, and I've never seen anyone eat an onion ring whole. Honest. Not saying this theory is correct, but I think that's why it's gained momentum.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Is it possible Chase himself doesn't really know "how it ended?" I mean, what if he couldn't decide, and some days he even thinks Tony got whacked and other days thinks "the movie never ends, it goes on and on and on and on" ... ?

(Sorry. I know some of you have had enough of this, but not me.) :)

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Catching up on back episodes, I saw a prophetic moment.

At Chrissy's intervention, Tony flies into a rage when he fins out Chris sat on the dog and killed it.

"I ought to fucking suffocate you..." says Tony.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

James Gandolfini Shot By Closure-Seeking Fan

June 25, 2007

NEW YORK—Actor James Gandolfini, best known for his portrayal of mob kingpin Tony Soprano on the hit HBO show The Sopranos, was shot to death Tuesday in a Greenwich Village restaurant by a fan unable to accept the open-ended conclusion of the series finale that aired earlier this month.

The dramatic finale millions of Sopranos viewers had been waiting for.

According to police reports, 28-year-old marketing research assistant Louis Bowen walked into the small Italian restaurant Occhiuto's at approximately 7:40 p.m. and headed directly toward Gandolfini's table. Bowen then drew a snub-nosed .38 revolver from his jacket and shot Gandolfini point-blank in the head three times before dropping the gun and calmly exiting the eatery.

Bowen was apprehended two blocks away by two NYPD officers and reportedly put up no resistance.

"I couldn't let it just hang," Bowen told police in a post-arrest confession released to the media. "Eight years of my life, and a fucking artsy cut to black? It was eating me up inside."

[​IMG][​IMG]

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/james_gandolfini_shot_by_closure

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

this merited a bump. lol.

12. BUMP.

Yep .. BUMP. Maybe a record Bump at that..

Finally saw the finale of The Sopranos. The show was pretty good. The Finale? Ok.
    Count me in the group that believes Tony does not get whacked in the finale.

I tried to read some guy's extremely long screed making the case Tony got whacked at the end, but I don't buy it.
    Maybe's it more of a hope - but I don't believe Tony getting whacked at the end fits the show.

I think viewers were dropped in dropped out and moved on. The show stopped but life went on for the Sopranos.

Draft saved Draft deleted