1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soprano's 5th Season Finale (6/4) (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Just_An_SID, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Syl killed Ad in the Baltimore area.

I've been there.

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

The building inspector in the season opener, which I'm watching now, resembled the receptionist guy in ER.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Are they officially doing a movie as a wrap-up?
    I knew about the eight episodes as extra, but hadn't heard anything official about a movie.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

The scene where Sil shot Ade was filmed in Sterling Forest in Tuxedo, NY, a few miles over the Jersey state line.
    That's also the woods they used for the "Pine Barrens" show because they could never get permission to shoot in the environmentally protected Pine Barrens in South Jersey.

They also started location shooting in New Jersey this week for the final 8.

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Here's a casting question.

What happened to Barbara Soprano from the first episodes? I don't like the one who plays her now.

And does anyone know why the Danielle character, the FBI agent who befriended Adriana, changed between seasons. The one who ended the second (or was it the third) wasn't the same one who started the next season, although they dubbed the new one into the old scenes.

6. Stupid

Stupid Member

The Danielle character was the same. there was a new FBI agent that took over that case.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

IIRC, the actress who was orignally cast as Danielle got a role on a TV show or a movie which conflicted with the Sopranos.

And the Baltimore thing was the road sign that Ade saw in the brief "road not taken" dream sequence before they showed her in the passenger seat with Syl.

8. I finally caught up on all the episodes (thanks to a coworker downloading them for me).

I thought it was a great season. I think the first three-five episodes were among the strongest ever done. The coma/dream episodes were amazing. Coma's are pretty cliché on TV, but I don't know that there has ever been one done better than the sopranos. Tony refusing to let go of his briefcase/life while Steve Buschmi is trying to pull it away was priceless. Who better to try to pull Tony from his life than the cousin he killed (probably the most unforgivable thing he's ever done).

If you remember, Tony/Kevin Finnity was told he couldn't check back into his old room at the hotel. He was given a new room/life because the old Tony was dead--something his actions proved over and over throughout the year. This season was about Tony trying to change his life and I thought they portrayed that very well.

I personally love that Chase allows us to see into the lives/demons of background characters. I had no problem with the Vito storyline or the couple episodes that featured Artie pretty heavily.

No idea where next season is going but if I had to guess I would say that Tony is going to lose someone very close to him (AJ) or that he will do something in order to protect his family (the show has always been about his struggle to balance mob life and family life). The show try's to be realistic and in real life the feds usually get their man. Tony will slip up and be forced to flip or flee. I don't think he dies though.

I watched the episode where Adriana dies recently but this time watched with commentary--Drea Demateo (sp) said they filmed a scene where the female FBI agent approaches Chris and tells him he will pay for killing her. They cut the scene but I imagine that this will come into play again in the final 8. Chris will continue the tragic cycle of his family history by not being around to watch his kid grow up.

I'm probably way off but i'm excited for the final 8 (i hope they don't do a movie). Enjoy it while you can---most shows on tv aren't this good....

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Trouble in River City, so Bossman's gonna knock some heads...

http://reuters.myway.com/article/20060622/2006-06-22T064237Z_01_N22313441_RTRIDST_0_ENTERTAINMENT-SOPRANOS-DC.html

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

damn. that's brutal.

that'll make the last season even shittier. i guess they could write paulie off and say he died but you need silvio. and if these are the only four big players left next season, they may as well call the whole thing off. i don't want the whole thing focused on formerly bit characters who no one gives a shit about.

11. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

That's been the MO for the last few seasons.

12. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

The money will get settled. Guarantee it. You aren't going to take this series and leave it on that kind of note with two key characters missing from the last 8 episodes.

I loved the season, and by the way, I thought AJ's girlfriend in the finale is pretty smoking hot.

Yeah, I was bummed the violence was sub-par (I know people who keep tracking of whackings), but I really, really enjoy anything with great character development. I am curious to see how all the different subplots and questions are wrapped up next January, but bottomline - I probably won't ever see another series quite like this in my lifetime.

Draft saved Draft deleted