1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sopranos 5/20

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, May 20, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Anyone else pick up on the conversation in the last therapy session with Melfi, as Tony was describing his peyote trip? It might have as well be Chase right there delivering the lines himself.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I noticed that, too, 21.

It served to make Eliot seem effeminate in a weird way, and that has been a theme in the past for Melfi, but that's all I've got.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The huge water bottle was distracting, but in the meantime Eliot is trying to convince Melfi she should either quit seeing Tony as a patient, or maybe give him over to the authorities.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Jesus, that was intense. A month ago I was frustrated because it seemed like they were screwing around, but now it's all setting up nicely for a big finish.

Even with all the drama, this episode produced one of my Top 5 Sopranos laughs ever. When Melfi is asking whether AJ leaving the rope too long might have been a cry for help: "Or he could just be a fuckin' idiot. Historically that's been the case."

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Did anyone else notice in the clips for next week, there was a shot of AJ and he was bound in the backseat of a SUV? Is Phil is going to kidnap AJ as part of a NY/NJ war?

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

21, I had the same thought about the water bottle. Strange.

That move Tony did on Coco was known as the 'Chicago Smile', as one poster noted earlier made famous in American History X.

Line of the night:

Melfi: 'I meant the botched attempt. On some level he may have known the rope was too long to keep him submerged.'

Tony: 'Or he could just be a fuckin' idiot. Historically that's been the case.'

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I stopped laughing at Sil reading "How to Clean Practically Anything" just in time for Tony's oral surgery without anesthesia.
    Won't give away a spoiler I've come across (they are rarely 100 percent accurate, though usually contain a kernel of truth), but remember, Meadow's car has been rear-ended. It MAY be an important fact in two weeks.

8. ChrisLittmann

ChrisLittmann Member

I thought I'd totally missed something when you said that, but I just went and watched it again and I think you're falling for the classic trap of putting any stock in a series of clips all strung together. (White Escalade driving, Paulie standing up and getting in Bobby's (?) face, and then a shot of AJ sort of crying around what appears to be basically a pile of clothes.) The shot lasts all of about a second, so how you determined he was A) bound or B) in an SUV would be quite the piece of detective work unless you're just talking about another trailer. My guess is it's just him laying in his messy room, blubbering about life. Besides, as I said, these trailers mean next to nothing for the most part.

9. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Yeah, you're right....those clips usually give you no indication of what the upcoming episode is about....

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

And I know they shot a scene in Northern New Jersey a few weeks ago where Meadow crashes her car into a telephone pole... maybe with a bump from behind?

Is Phil going after Tony's kids as a way to get to him, after seeing how Tony reacted to Coco's little scene with Meadow tonight?

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm guessing the family had never seen the homicidal face Tony flashed for that couple of seconds at the dining room table, before Tony composed himself and retook his he-makes-his-money-in-sanitation-services family veneer.

It was the incendiary-vengeance payoff we never got for the Melfi rape.

12. Lyric

Lyric Member

What's interesting is we saw Tony come to the rescue of his kids twice tonight, which is twice more than I can remember in the past ...

Draft saved Draft deleted