1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sophomore in college looking for thoughts

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by ttomea, Apr 8, 2011.

1. ttomea

ttomea New Member

Hey everyone - I'm new to the site, but was thinking this would be a great way to receive some feedback on the columns I've written for my school paper. I have 700 words per column, which makes choosing what to include/what not to include difficult at times, but I was hoping I could get some thoughts on my latest column.

http://www.theeagleonline.com/sports/story/how-to-make-the-sports-world-better-for-devoted-followers/

Thank you for any feedback, and I'm looking forward to some ideas I receive from this site - it seems like a great place for aspiring writers.

2. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I guess it was OK, although when I saw the topic, I cringed. "Change these rules now!" columns are a dime a dozen. Also, when your first point finished with "I'll have six months of column material!" I was worried.

You wrote it tightly, which is good. But it might have been too tight. A couple of points felt rushed.

3. ttomea

ttomea New Member

Thanks for taking the time to read it and giving your thoughts, I appreciate it. Yeah, with a 700-word limit it's tough to explain everything fully, but I see where you're coming from. I was initially thinking about cutting it down from 10 to 8 to give each point a better explanation. Again, thank you for the feedback.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Don't use exclamation points. Like ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted