1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sooooo, anybody remember that Jeopardy online quiz from earlier this year?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Omar_dont_scare, Aug 13, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I haven't heard a peep. Thought I heard echoes of laughter once ...

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Grab your ankles and grit your teeth.

3. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

Speaking up is the big one. They also encourage people to be fairly quick choosing the next category, so the game keeps moving.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

Hey -- I just got my email! Woo-hoo!

I thought for sure I was out because of how long ago Omar's came. But mine just came this week. My audition is Oct. 11th in Toronto.

I hope one of the categories is Potent Potables.

Omar, if you've done yours, let me know how it went. And any other tips (thanks deskhack) would be appreciated.

What is EXCITED?

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The answer is Jones.

The question: Who is excited about his audition for Jeopardy!?

Congratulations!

6. Congrats, Jones!

I'll post how mine went later tonight or tomorrow. I thought it went rather well.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I made it to the College Jeopardy! Auditions two years ago, and it was awesome.
    The actual buzzer competition was a blast, particularly because I won 8-2-1. Suck it, nerds.
    Really, it was great.
    Except...
    * The 50-question quiz is roughly one million times harder than the online quiz. Study Shakespeare and the sciences, because there might have been a total of 12 questions on mine. Meanwhile, there was one sports question and one pop culture question. That knowledge is basically useless. Religion was also prominently featured.
    * Speaking of the test, if you slip up on a question, remember your numbering. I think I skipped one but accidentally filled out the rest of the test without realizing. #12 was really #11, etc. Not good.
    * Looking around the room, as a California state school alumnus, and seeing Cal, Cal, Cal, Stanford, UCLA, Stanford, UCLA, Cal Tech, Cal Tech, UCLA, USC, USC, UC Santa Barbara, Cal, Stanford...etc. Just a little daunting. At least I got laid more.
    * Be energetic and fun IMMEDIATELY. Like, when you get there. Talk with the other contestants, talk with the crew, anyone. They'll notice.
    * Good luck and have fun. It was awesome. Tough, but awesome. And I could kill you both at home!

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

"What is, 'Jim Fregosi's cock'?"

Congrats, Jonesy!

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

solid advice all around. I'm sure it'll be different from Wheel, but the producers swap back and forth on the shows. Be friendly right away, and follow all instructions, and make decisions quickly. They'll go over that part with you over and over. They want the game to move. And it's not how much you know (I only scored about 50% on the 5-minute puzzle quiz) but your personality and how well you relate. Sound familiar?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is that graded on a curve or pass/fail?

11. My audition experience...

My audition consisted of roughly 20 would-be contestants in a two-hour session, the sixth of such sessions they ran over a span of two days.

They did a little warm-up, then it was time for the written test, with the questions displayed on a projection screen and read like Trebek would during an actual show.

Maybe slappy's written test was harder than the online. Mine wasn't. I knew 40 of the 50 answers pretty much instantly.

After that, they called us up in groups of three to play Fake Jeopardy, complete with buzzing in. I did well at this as well. Thanks for the reflexes, video games!

Jones, my biggest advice during that part? Speak up, speak up and speak up. They kept telling people to do so, but you'd be surprised how many people would mumble responses or category choices, or hem and haw after getting one right before picking another clue. They like people who speak up, quickly choose the next category and keep the game moving. Luckily, I'm a loudmouth so this was no problem for me.

Once our Fake Round was over, the casting coordinator (who might be the most high-energy person I have ever met) did an extended version of the type of interviews Trebek does coming out of the first commercial break. I got some good laughs from the trio of Jeopardy people -- including the tech-support guy who up until then had shown a Sphinx-like resolve regarding the other conestants' anecdotes and witticisms.

They told everyone they could be called at any time in the next 18 months. Didn't pull anyone out after the written test. We all got to play the fake game, so you leave having no idea if or when they will call.

Based on the numbers they gave, I have a 25% chance to be called any time in the next 18 months. And even if you get the call to come to Cali, there's no guarantee you'll actually make the show--which would suck.

Anyway, best of luck, Jones. It'd be something if we ended up going head to head on an episode.

Draft saved Draft deleted