1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sons of Guns? More like Sons of Lies!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Anyone seen that Discovery Channel show "Sons of Guns"? It's a reality show set in a Louisiana gun shop, where the owners are constantly making and remaking different weapons.
    And the truth, apparently.
    A Mississippi dentist who did a segment on the show says he was not only asked to fabricate his story about an antique gun with a tooth in it, but also to bring props (namely, the teeth). He doesn't seem pissed about it or anything, which makes me think he's a little naive to the headache he's about to unleash for this show's producers.

http://www.natchezdemocrat.com/2011/07/24/playing-with-guns/

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

One thing about this show that I don't understand. I thought (and must be wrong) that fully automatic weapons were illegal, yet all these guys do is convert weapons to fully automatic.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I think Class III dealers can build and sell fully automatic weapons. I may be wrong, but I think that's the deal.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Rhody is on it.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It kind of ruins the idea of the show, but I think it won't be a big deal because most of "Reality TV" is bullshit.
    My first paper, a local girls hoops team played another team that had a manager who was on MTV's "Made." She wanted to be made from geek to basketball star. She didn't make the team, served as a manager and it ended with everyone smiling.
    Apparently the story was BS; the girl wanted to be a dance star or something, but when MTV found out how good the girls hoops team was, they pushed her toward that.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Anyone can apply for the proper federal permit and stamps to buy, possess or build an automatic weapon.

Whether the feds approve your application is up to them and your history or background. If you're in possession, attempt to buy or convert a weapon to full auto without the proper permits, then your ass is grass if you get caught.

Full auto is quite fun to shoot.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Every single "reality" show is completely fabricated.

Believe otherwise if you want, but you're a dupe.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Reality TV ended with "An American Family" and 80s TV Game Shows.

10. DanOregon

I think with reality shows you can tell how fake it is by counting how many "producers" it has. Producers are writers. I think the Kardashian shows have about 10.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And the producers are always looking for controversy. I remember a couple of things from "The Real World". One was that several cast members said that what you saw on TV was really rare, that usually they were just sitting around and watching TV, or doing nothing. But the show would always just show either the fights, or the hookups.

The other thing was this one RW guy kept staying in every night, and the producers were starting to get pissed because they wanted him out and partying. They finally had the cast hold a party in their house to manufacture some stuff.

12. DanOregon

Draft saved Draft deleted