1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sonny Vaccaro = the definition of disingenuous

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This blowhard was just on local radio (where he is a frequent guest) bemoaning the fact that high school basketball is a business, and how schools exploit kids. He then said it was "racism" that caused Bill Walker to be declared ineligible for the upcoming season.

This is like an arsonist starting a fire, then bemoaning how hot it is. This is the bottom feeder who brought the shoe companies into the colleges, which eventually led to them being in the high schools.

As for the racism allegations . . . Mr. Vaccaro has an agenda to get his kid eligible. He'll say whatever it takes. Which makes him like anyone else who stands to profit from these kids.

Rant over.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Somebody posted a link on the Journalism board to a series the Boston Globe did on the AAU/Traveling Team/Shoe Company culture that really brought out what a slimy piece of shit this guy is.

The series was full of plenty of quotes that were unintentionally hilarious and mind-bogglingly slimy at the same time. I felt like I needed to take a shower after I read it.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Question: Could you see the sleaze oozing from your radio speakers while he was on air?

Read Wetzel's "Sole Influence" and you'll be so disgusted with the shoe companies you'll want to avoid their products.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's why Moddy wears Birks... no one with a bit of athletic ability ever wears them ;D ;D ;D

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

(For the outsiders, Bill Walker was declared ineligible because he's already played four years of high school ball. Ohio isn't Kentucky.)

EDIT: OK, maybe Vaccaro's not an argument for blowing up the entire high-school sports system. But if there's no way to keep people like him from corrupting it for their own purposes ...

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's not true. I wear Birks and am a pretty good frolf and Ultimate Frisbee player.

7. Armchair_QB

High school sports or AAU sports?

Basketball's problems stem more from summer leagues/camps/tournaments than from high school programs.

In most states the HS coach usually has an education background and in many cases is still teaching. Summer league coaches are, for the most part, pimps.

8. OkayPlayer

OkayPlayer Member

Sonny has his own sleazy reasons for all of this, no doubt. And the sneaker companies are sleazy, no doubt.

But as bad as they are and as bad as Sonny perhaps is, the truth is Sonny and the environment he created has helped a lot of kids during the past two decades. There's a lot of kids who got college scholarships because of the camps Sonny organizes. These kids otherwise would be stuck in obscurity in tiny towns across the country. Sonny's no angel. But he's also not some villian like people think he is.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I did rethink that.

But considering how many people think of high schools as sports factories first and academic institutions a very small second, maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.

10. Armchair_QB

Bullshit. If you can play coaches will find you.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sincere apologies dude... I forgot the importance of frolf (whatever TF that is) and ultimate Frisbee.
    You may, as soon as you appear in an ad endorsing either, point me in the direction of a store carrying Birks so I can buy my first pair...

12. Armchair_QB

frolf = frisbee golf

Draft saved Draft deleted