1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sonics headed to OKC, money headed to Seattle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WazzuGrad00, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Re: UPDATE: Sonics headed to OKC, money headed to Seattle

I meant OKC and it's suburbs.

You know, OKC isn't as big as Seattle but it isn't exactly tiny. It keeps growing by the way. It's come a long way in just the last 10 years. So people flipping out that the Sonics are moving to a smaller market need to just hold on. The market keeps growing and the Sonics will help it grow.

Really I think people just don't want OKC to have a team.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I am intimately familiar with OKC, having once covered the Big 12.
    Made my first trip to Seattle this season covering the NBA.

Let me just say I'm gonna miss Seattle.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Damaramu, you're just too close to this. I understand that you love your town, but that's not the point. OKC is growing, but so is everywhere else. It probably seems to you like it's getting huge, but in the broader scope it's still a small market and will be for the foreseeable future.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As far as trades go this isn't nearly as heinous as swapping Vancouver for Memphis.

Or as an acquaintance of mine who works in the NBA put it, "We traded one of the most beautiful cities in North America for a trailer park."

5. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Well, we proved we deserve an NBA team. We have one now and will continue to prove we deserve it. This doesn't make us bad people and the venom and the trashing of the city needs to stop. Schultz won't win his lawsuit no matter how many times anti-OKC ESPN paid Lester Munson tells you otherwise. (seriously espn has bashed OKC every chance they get)
    The NBA is here in OKC for the foreseeable future. We deserve it, people need to get over it. Sorry you lost your team Seattle, but you can basically have it back in the future.

6. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

The other thing is that when Oklahoma supported the Hornets for two years, the tickets were really cheap because the team was only going to be there for a couple of years. They are not going to be that cheap for the Sonics. They will cost the same, or even more than any other NBA team. Will the fans come out to the games and pay more? They probably will for the first couple of years, but I have some doubts 5 years from now that they will be showing the same support.

7. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

I'm pretty sure league-wide the NBA is required to sell a certain number of cheap seats.
    But when games weren't sold out for the Hornets it wasn't because the expensive seats weren't sold. The expensive seats were always sold.
    People are already flipping out about trying to get season tickets.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good gosh, don't get your Okie up over this. I'm looking at it solely from a business perspective.

Smaller market means less revenue.

9. Armchair_QB

The people in OKC are some of the friendliest you'll ever meet.

But it's a minor league city and it always will be. You can say the Hornets loved playing there but they also knew they weren't staying.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Let's be honest, the only thing you proved is that you have some rich guys. "Deserve" ain't got a thing to do with it.

Sorry people are trashing your town. Hopefully we haven't been doing it here, which i don't think we have.

11. Armchair_QB

Uh, I'm pretty sure I just did.

12. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

The ticket costs were significantly less for the Hornets home games than any other place. Expensive seats and the cheap seats. The cheap seats were $10 for most of the upper deck of the Ford Center. When the team moved there, the plan was for cheaper seats all the way around because of the limited time the Hornets were going to be in OKC.
    The tickets for the Sonics will be more than for the Hornets, a lot more.

Draft saved Draft deleted