1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sonics headed to OKC, money headed to Seattle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WazzuGrad00, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: UPDATE: Sonics headed to OKC, money headed to Seattle

That's great Paul loved his stint in OKC. But that doesn't mean OKC can support an NBA team better than Seattle.

Sure, the money is being dangled out there right now. But will it be there five, 10 years from now? I don't see it.

(And I say that as somebody who is very familiar with OKC, spent many evenings in Bricktown and has a friend whose mother died in the Murrah Building.)

2. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

I never said you said the bombing thing. I said the amount of venom I've seen directed at OKC (not just here, on ESPN.com and on other boards) makes it seem like that's what people want to happen.

3. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Well I say it as a lifelong OKC resident, people will support the team. Bennett is a huge basketball and sports fan and he also loves OKC. He'll continue to support the team and the people will too. The people here are starved for pro sports and it's not going to just go away after 2 years.

The support for the Hornets wasn't fake.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Let's see. You own Starbucks and you want to sell the Sonics. A guy from Oklahoma City, a city which recently gave strong support to the displaced Hornets offers you a bunch of money and you're surprised he wants to move the team to his hometown? I think if Schultz sold the Sonics to a local person they might have gotten that new arena. Seattle has no one to blame but themselves.

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

[​IMG]

/got nuttin

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Inky_Wretch

I have no doubt the people will support it. But, then again, the people in Seattle were still supporting the Sonics.

But will the money be there to buy luxury boxes? To build another new arena when Bennett decides the current one isn't nice enough?

Seattle's MSA is 3.3 million. OKC's MSA is 1.1 million. That alone means less money in local TV and radio deals.

7. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Oklahoma has supported everything required for sporting venues in Oklahoma. They threw all their support in for the Redhawks stadium, threw it all in for the Ford Center and recently threw it all in for the renovations on the Ford Center. If the money is needed the people of Oklahoma will pay for it, believe me.

8. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Where did you hear that?

9. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

He said during his press conference he was having duplicate banners and trophies made because he feels he bought the history when he bought everything else relating to the team. He also said the city of Seattle could have the originals and the records along with the colors and names if they get a new team.

10. Inky_Wretch

The people of Guymon and Poteau are stuck paying for OKC's stadia? That's some bullshit. Or were you talking about just OKC?

And, again, a smaller MSA means less local TV/radio contracts. The Sports Animal and KOCO aren't going to be able to pony up as much as radio and TV in a 3.3M market.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Exactly. You're not going to pay what Durant will command in two years off the fans buying nachos. Broadcast revenue, luxury boxes, sponsorship -- that's where they make the coin. And OKC is not in the same position as a large market to provide those things.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted