1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sonics headed to OKC, money headed to Seattle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WazzuGrad00, Jul 2, 2008.

1. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Re: UPDATE: Sonics headed to OKC, $75 million headed to Seattle

I don't blame OKC fans. They seemed to be a good, solid fan base when the Hornets were there.

They should have gotten a team that didn't have a good fan base. Not Seattle's team.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sad to see the Sonics go. Don't know when they'll be "back" if the NBA decides to wait to add two teams before expanding again.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Oklahoma City's fans and Seattle's fans are the people I have sympathy for in this whole mess. Oklahoma City embraced the New Orleans Hornets as their own in the wake of Katrina. They graciously took in a transplanted team even though they knew there was little chance the team would become the Oklahoma City Hornets.

Now they get an NBA franchise they clearly proved they deserved. However, they did so because Clay Bennett chose to dick Seattle over with the blessing of a guy who's making Gary Bettman look like a decent guy as a commissioner.

As for Seattle, the city comes to a lease agreement with the Sonics and now the Sonics see greener pastures elsewhere and try to break the lease. And for what? A few sky boxes? Corporate dollars? If Donald Sterling had taken the Clippers to Oklahoma City, I doubt anyone in Los Angeles would give a flying fuck. The people of Oklahoma City might cry a few million tears after two years of putting up with his shit, but I digress.

The Sonics have a tradition. In Seattle. Seattle did not deserve to lose the Sonics. I hope Bennett has to sell the team, but I hope whoever buys the team does well in Oklahoma City.

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Yes, wishing bad basketball upon a city is really out of line. Besides, OKC obviously has much bigger issues with a walking taint like Clay Bennett as one of its favorite sons. But I am sure the free agents are going to flock to the place. I hear the NBA's next move is putting a team in Cheyenne.

5. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Re: UPDATE: Sonics headed to OKC, money headed to Seattle

Some details:

City gets $45 million now. The other $30 million is contingent on the city finding funds by the end of 2009 to finance a remodel of KeyArena (!) and the NBA not placing a team in Seattle by 2013.

NBA says a remodeled KeyArena will work for them.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If LeBron leaves Cleveland in two years, Seattle can have the Cavs.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Seattle should have asked for the same deal Cleveland got from the NFL and kept all the Sonics' records and history. Make the OKC essentially an expansion team.

8. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

They did.

The city will keep the name and records.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Here's my choice for a new name and logo:

[​IMG]

;D

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I blame Howard Schultz more than anyone, how do you sell a team to a guy that has no ties in your area and expect him to keep them here.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

A smiley face?

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Just plain evil.

I used to support public financing of professional stadia, but after this episode, never again. What Bennett did amounted to armed robbery. At least the gang of Stern, Schultz, Bennett and the 30 owners didn't kill the Sonics. Just left them for dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted