1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Sonic Highways" on HBO

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Nov 17, 2014.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Anyone else catching this?

It's been great. Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters is doing hour-long docs about music scenes around the country (DC, LA, Nashville, Austin, Chicago), and it's been pretty interesting.

LA is this week and I'm am digging the part on Kyuss. Man, that brings back memories!

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm a huge Foo freak so I'm probably not objective - but I've watched the first two and love it. I actually show up briefly near the end of the DC one. They show Grohl on stage during his show at the 9:30 Club. It was my last night out in D.C. before moving. Up on the right on the balcony. Big bald guy. Yeah, that's me.

I also dig the new album, though it is receiving mixed reviews

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I am told that the dude who had the music ranch near LA went to the same school as me, just a few years earlier.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've seen all of the Nashville episode and parts of the Chicago and DC episodes.
    Honestly, I'm a little disappointed in the series. I love watching shows about music and musicians and how music gets made, but this one leaves me a little flat. I can't put my finger on it.
    Although, I like a lot of the music featured in the episodes.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Nashville one looks interesting. I didn't like the Chicago one.

6. spikechiquet

It's not a true "history of music" show, that's for sure...it's a "people and things Dave Grohl thinks is noteworthy" show...but it's good entertainment at least. It's just a vehicle to pump the new cd, but enjoyable nonetheless.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I grew up in the Nashville music biz and this is the first doc I've seen that does a great job explaining how the music industry there is a songwriter's industry more than it is a performer's. And it also explains how songwriting is, quite literally, a 9-5 job.

8. spikechiquet

Yeah. Good point. Our country music columnist just got back from there and he sat in on a song-writing session and said it was amazing to watch.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I've liked most of the episodes, though parts of the LA one didn't do much for me. Loved the Kyuss bit and I'll watch anything involving Homme.

As a band I don't think Foo Fighters have ever sounded better, but the lyrics to these songs sound like audio book reports or something. They just feel forced. I don't know if I'd like the songs better if I hadn't just heard every reference in the films. Maybe.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've never been to Tennessee, but I've heard and read that same type of account of the songwriting culture of Nashville.

I've also heard and read musicians, producers and songwriters lamenting the sad state of country music for almost 20 years.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hell, people have been bitching since Hank Williams brought drums to the Opry.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They're kind of all over the place. The Chicago one definitely was. The New Orleans one too. The NOLA episode threw Allen Toussaint out there as a New Orleans deity. He is, but then they did a slipshod way of explaining why.

Draft saved Draft deleted