1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Songs You're Embarrassed To Admit You Like

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I had a three-hour road trip to an assignment this weekend and had the old iPod plugged into the car.

I have four very different play lists on the Nano.

Anyway, on comes Wild Wild West by Escape Club. And, while cruising the middle of nowhere highway I crank the shit out of the song — and then replay it. I was thinking of eighth-grade dances and birthday parties the whole time.

After it ends I think to myself "My God Pete, don't ever tell any of your buddies you just did that."

Okay, so who has a song or songs they're embarrassed to admit they like?

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Big Country's first album sounds damn good to me after all these years, especially if I've had a few Newcastles. But those dorky-ass videos.

The title cut with the lads doing who the fuck knows what on ATVs, then diving. WTF?

And the "Harvest Home" vid is totally wack. Capri pants for men? Holy fuck.

They shred in almost Scot-punk fashion in this live performance of "Fields of Fire" though.

Still wearing the stupid pants however. Check out the drunk kid in the Ireland rugby jersey.

Don't mind admitting I'm a Big Country fan on SportsJournalists.com, but it's nothing I'd mention on a first date. ;D

RIP Staurt Adamson. :'(

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Can't stand pop but I do like anything from Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall." Marilyn Manson's "Beautiful People" is mandatory for rocking out when in the car.

4. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Wait, this sounds familiar...

Ain't it good
    Ain't it right
    That you are with me
    Here tonight
    The music playin'
    Our bodies swayin' in time
    (In time, in time, in time)

Oooh
    Rock me gently
    Rock me slowly
    Take it easy
    Don't you know
    That I have never been loved like this before

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Britney's Gimme More

Carrie Underwood's Before He Cheats

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've always enjoyed Deep Blue Something's "Breakfast at Tiffany's." And I'm not turning off any old Hootie and the Blowfish song.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Hold your head high. Big Country was a tremendous band. I saw their first or second show ever in the US - still one of the best live bands I've ever seen. "Wonderland" is one of my favorite songs.

Now, embarrassing? There are a couple of Hanson songs I kind of like...

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Yeah, Big Country really did rock. It was just the videos and the Capri pants that were problematic.

As far as stuff where I'm more embarassed about the music, well, I like Kate Bush, Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry, Sinead O'Connor, Style Council and basically lots of stuff that's good music but dudes aren't supposed to like it 'cause it's considered too girly or bisexual. Oh well.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Coupla Nelly Furtado and Colby Caillait songs ... certainly doesn't fit with my overall musical taste.

Of course, I'm a big fan of 80s pop ... that can be embarrassing sometimes, especially when I get caught listening to Debbie Gibson.

And I currently have Cyndi Lauper's greatest hits compilation rollin' in the Escape's 6-CD changer.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

True, the videos weren't the best.

Along the same lines, I'm a huge Crowded House fan, but their video for "Something So Strong" makes Frankie Goes to Hollywood look like Megadeth:

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The "Fergie sounds like Taylor Dayne" slow song she had out last year, though I can't remember what it's called. Problematic because she has the line "I'ma miss you like A child misses THEIR blanket" and it makes me very irrationally upset.

More so than realizing I like a Fergie song.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That'd be Big Girls Don't Cry, IJAG.

Draft saved Draft deleted