1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Songs that should have been hits of the 00's

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, May 30, 2009.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

This is an off-shoot of the thread about the best-selling artists of the decade.

So I pose this question to the musically-minded of SJ: What are the songs that would have been hits if radio actually gave them the chance of airplay?

The song shouldn't be too long and should at least some type of pop hook, unless it's one of the rare slow songs that gets airplay. That means that great bands like Modest Mouse and Wilco probably won't be represented since they don't make radio-friendly music for the most part.

My first submission to the musically-talented top 40 for the decade:

"Countdown" by Jupiter One:

(try to provide a link so that people can listen to if they want to)

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

TSP will back me up on this...

Butch Walker, "The Weight of Her."

The guy writes and produces hits for people with a fraction of his talent, but his own stuff gets ignored. I don't get it.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Because he sucks, that's why. (hi TSP! :p)

Good thread, dreunc. I'm so old I'll be surprised if I've heard of five of these songs by the time the thread is done.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Solid choice there, PC.

And buck that's one of my reasons for this thread, to put songs out there for those who haven't heard most of this stuff. Also, if you're old then I'm not young and I can't accept that.

All right, a few more nominations from me. This first one is getting some airplay now, but I checked and the highest it reached was 123 on the billboard charts.

"Closer to Love" by Mat Kearney:

An amazing duet here by Joshua Radin and Ingrid Michaelson, "Sky" (this one might not be quite poppy enough, but I had to get Ingrid on here in some form):

(a song I've had the great fortune of hearing in person)

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh for the love of piss, you're like 16. Shut the fuck up junior!!!! :D

This is all I've got: Shades Apart, whose 1999 album "Eyewitness" should have sold 100 billion copies.

This is "Stranger By The Day," which was on the American Pie soundtrack:

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Terrific song.

I'll throw out this one:

And "Carl Perkins' Cadillac" by the Drive By Truckers.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Wrong decade, douche!

But the song's pretty good.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I was going to put that Ben Kweller song up on another post. Great choice. Another one from the Bens that I can't find on youtube, "Sing" by Ben Lee off his latest cd.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, maybe I'm not old, but my head has spent so much time lately in a different year that I'm inclined to think the up-and-coming Cab Calloway's got the hit song of the summer with "Minnie the Moocher". So, there you go. ;)

10. PCLoadLetter

Count me as another Ben Kweller fan - love "Falling" from the "Sha Sha" album.

Here's another - the band The Big Lie. Check out any of the four here:

http://www.myspace.com/thebiglie

My favorites are "When it Ends" and "Her Suitcase is Gone, But Her Clothes are Still Lying Around."

The backstory: the "band" members are acquaintances scattered around North America who recorded their parts of the songs onto a hard drive, then shipped the hard drive to the next person. They've never actually played in the same room. The result sounds like a band that's been together for years. It's one of the best power pop albums I've heard. And seriously, I think I'm one of about five people who actually own it. Even on myspace, the songs have about 200 plays each.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's really interesting. Are there any plans for them to play in the same room and/or to tour?

12. PCLoadLetter

Doesn't look like it. Supposedly they never even had any intention of releasing it.

Here's the bio from their label's web page:

Draft saved Draft deleted