1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Songs That Make You Cry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 2, 2007.

1. joe

joe Active Member

"At Least That's What You Said." Right now. Beautiful. Heartbreaking. Perfect.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Damn, Fenian, I didn't even know that anyone from your neck of the woods had even HEARD "Desperadoes Waiting for a Train." Thought it was just a Texas thing. But that song, above all others, has the ability to evoke tears from me. My dear old grandad. Most solid man I've ever known, and I imagine that'll be the case no matter how many years I linger on this earth.

As far as boy-girl tear-jerkers go, "No Easy Way to Cry" by David Gray is probably at the top. Amazing tune, but damn, a gut-wrencher.

Close behind: "Meet Me Other Side," also by David Gray. A careless listener might think it's about death, but no, it's about a bad breakup. In other words, we'll never speak again, but the part of me that still longs for you hopes to be reunited with you in the next world. "Love's a raven when it flies...Honey, now if I'm honest, I still don't know what love is." Chilling.

3. joe

joe Active Member

Morphine's "Gone For Good." Unaware it was on the CD, heard it as I left SoCal for good.

4. Some older songs from my depressed days.
    "Joey" - Concrete Blonde
    "Crazy Baby" - Joan Osborne
    "Father of Mine" - Everclear

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Strawberry Wine -- not so much the lyrics, but it brings back some really depressing memories.

6. joe

joe Active Member

"Joey" always hit a little too close to home.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I'm guessing it's a different version than the Bob Dylan one?

8. joe

joe Active Member

Yeah, and I saw Concrete Blonde in concert in 1993. Drunk as fuck, pissed my girlfriend off something special.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Sorry to hear that, SC. For me, it brings back memories of the summer between my freshman and sophomore years of college. I was sacking groceries at the Winn Dixie in Granbury, Texas. Had a summer romance with a sweet local girl who was still in high school. "He had a car." Yup, I had the role of the older guy with the younger girl. Lots of sweet, sweaty action in the field behind the Dairy Queen while the cicadas chirped and cattle moo-ed in the background. Straight out of a McMurtry novel.
    "A few cards and letters and one long distance call
    We drifted away like the leaves in the fall"
    Pretty much. Sorry your associations with this song aren't so lighthearted. :-\

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Very

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The Famous Final Scene by Bob Seger

12. joe

joe Active Member

That's the one.

Draft saved Draft deleted