1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Songs In The Key of Life

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 22, 2008.

1. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

My faves are "You Haven't Done Nothin," "Sir Duke," and "I Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer."

One of the coolest experiences in my life was right before an Earth, Wind & Fire concert at Summerfest in Milwaukee in 2003 or so. The music they played before EWF came on was mostly stuff from that era and when the opening bass groove from "You Haven't Done Nothin" came on the whole crowd just went nuts and was moving in rhythm to that bass line. It was amazing and really set the tone for the EWF concert.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I've been big on Stevie all my life. That Moddy started a thread for this is tremendous.

My four-disc Stevie set, "At The Close of a Century," hasn't spent much time in its box since I got it years ago. Easily one of the top three compilations I own.

Note to any aspiring R&B/soul artist: Forget about warbling and actually find a note. If you need further guidance, look no further than "Lately" and "Ribbon In The Sky." Simple, timeless and unbeatable.

And a second note to any prospective artist: Quit ripping Stevie's stuff and work on your own. Thank you.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

The role of deep_background will be played today by Moddy. :D

If you don't shut Stevie up, the credits'll be rolling and he'll still be thanking people.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You Haven't Done Nuthin' and Boogie On Reggae Woman are what make Fullingness' First Finale my fave.

I prefer Marvin Gaye to Stevie by a tad, but you can't go wrong with either.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Making the story even better, Stevie won Album of the Year the year after Simon did, making it 3 out of 4 years.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Friend of mine is a chaffeur around here. And one night last year he got to drive Stevie Wonder around DC. No limo, just a big ole SUV, and Stevie rode shotgun while two guys with him were in the backseat, but the dude just shot the shit with my friend who was driving him around.

At one point they had to take a trip to get a new harmonica, and then Stevie Wonder is sitting there jamming in the front seat with his harmonica putting on an impromptu show for my friend. And sure enough, when he got back in the car after a stop somewhere, Stevie Wonder tells my friend he was driving now, and then just starts busting up laughing.

So as my friend made clear, Stevie Wonder is an awesome, awesome dude.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

stevie wonder = waaaay 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I love what I've heard from Wonder, but I'm young and have only heard his hits. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be picking this album up soon...Sir Duke is an absolutely brilliant song.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I heard that shit, man! That shit wasn't funny!

Then I suppose in your little sketch Stevie crashed in a tree, right?

Ha-ha, very funny, motherfucker!

10. Flash

Flash Guest

I, too, enjoy my Walkman. And a little Stevie Wonder. Throw in some Procul Harum and you got me for life.

11. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

The thing that always kills me is when hipsters rip on him for "I Just Called ..." Yes, not good, but that tune would have been a career-maker for many, many artists. For Stevie, it's a burp. But some of his late stuff is really strong. Somebody alluded to "Ribbon in the Sky," which was great, as was "Overjoyed." Stevie's the best.

Draft saved Draft deleted