1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Song(s) that is (are) currently in your head

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Disturbed also remade another popular 80's song.........Shout by Tears for Fears.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You left out "Against All Odds."

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Shit!! See what I mean? Too many hits to remember.

One of the seminal soundtrack songs of the '80s too.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Now THAT is my favorite song by him.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think this means that I can tolerate most of Genesis, but don't go crazy for their singles (outside In Too Deep), and with Phil as a soloist I either really like it (Against All Odds, One More Night, In The Air Tonight) or really hate them (Sussidio, Billy Don't Lose That Number, Something Happened On The Way To Heaven).

Didn't Genesis have another lead singer post-Phil, or am I just dreaming?

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

"Taking It All Too Hard" should be on the Genesis list, too.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

Yes.

Ray Wilson.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Holy sh_t. A Genesis-jack. Where's "Steve Hackett" to help me enjoy this fun?

The black drummer you're thinking of is Chester Thompson ... he and Daryl Stuermer were hired instrumental guns for concert tours after Steve Hackett left because Phil couldn't both play percussion and sing, and Daryl helped out Mike Rutherford, who worked guitar and bass on the studio efforts.

The easy difference between Phil solo and Genesis was the timbre. PC solo had the Phenix Horns, which was basically the Earth, Wind & Fire background guys. It gave his music a little something different than most of the other AOR stuff out there. They were why his first four albums - Face Value, Hello! I Must Be Going, No Jacket Required, and But Seriously ... - were very good and little since, excepting his work for the film "Tarzan," has been worth much.

There was some horn work on Genesis tracks, though ("Paperlate," "No Reply At All" and "Anything She Does" to name three).

Back to top of last graf ... Genesis music usually has more complex synth chord and nicer chord progressions (thank you, Tony Banks).

(IJAG, "Against All Odds" was easily one of PC's best but if you want another outstanding tune, try "We Said Hello, Goodbye," a bonus track off "No Jacket Required." Same stripped-down timbre, consisting of Phil's voice, a piano and just enough percussion to piece the tune together)

And Disturbed should be shot for trying to cover "Land of Confusion" ... should have stopped with "Shout."

(Yes, I have the entire Genesis catalog ... and solo stuff from each of the five-man lineup of the early 70s.)

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Phil Collins has also played drums on some of Robert Plant's early solo albums. Hasn't he also played for Eric Clapton a time or two on a studio album?

Genesis was much better with Peter Gabriel fronting them. Genesis' Abacab, to me, is their one great album with PC leading the band.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Abacab was good, but given your parameters, there were three clearly better: A Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering and Duke.

And yes, PC played percussion for a lot of other folks. I can't think of the tunes, but I know he played some for Eric Clapton. Luckily, Clapton returned the favor with his work on PC's "I Wish It Would Rain Down."

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I saw Genesis on the Invisible Touch tour at The Forum in L.A. Great show, but I lost interest in them after that.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

For the past 6.5 weeks, I have had the "Big Huckin' Chicken" theme running through my head, which is bad enough. But for the past 13 days, it continues, morphs if you will, into "One Moment In Time," which, if you think about it, is the same note progression.

I shall go now and return after I have wedged the bamboo shoots deep into my brain.

Do not cry for me, DP; just remember that I loved helmets once.

Draft saved Draft deleted