1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Song(s) that is (are) currently in your head

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Aug 27, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That it was, and it also was the only Madonna song I could tolerate for many, many years.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I once had all of Phil Collins solo albums, but purged them round about '91 or so.

Some of his songs are good, I like both Take Me Home and One More Night off No Jacket Required, but I can't say I ever pine to get those albums back.

Still have many of his Genesis albums, though. Genesis' run from about 1977-83 is really underrated. Duke and Abacab are especially good.

And I agree with Nena-boy. Phil was unbelievably overplayed in his time. Milwaukee's WKTI once had a no-Phil weekend ... in 1985.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

From blocks away, "Invisible Touch" sounded different. Then days later, I returned home and got the real scoop.

I like the "Billy" video, although I haven't seen it in years.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't remember if I asked this question here or somewhere else, and I'm too lazy to look: Is there any way to tell Genesis songs apart from Phil Collins songs, outside of the ones you already know about? I remember in the 80's I'd hear a song and think "hey, new Phil Collins" and be told it was Genesis. Two years later, hear a song, think it's Genesis, and hey look at that it's really Phil Collins. What was/am I missing?

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The puppets (particularly Phil's) in the "Land of Confusion" video scared the bejesus out of me.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Always hated the puppets. And someone remade that song.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

Same keyboard player (can't think of his name), same background effects, music, backing vocals, same guitar player (Mike Rutherford- also known as Mike and the Mechanics), and later on, the drummer (Black guy, and I will stay awake til I figure out his name) was the same as well.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Disturbed.

Song really isn't that bad.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I sort of like the new version, although they felt the need to change one of the lines.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Genesis, by virtue of Tony Banks, was definitely more synth-dependent. Collins' solo work definitely had more horns.

But it was not cut-and-dried. After all, Collins' love of horns is rooted in some turn of the 80s Genesis songs (Misunderstanding, No Reply At All).

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good question. There wasn't that much difference between the singles released by Phil and Genesis. Genesis was occassionally a little more droll ("Land of Confusion") or a bit darker ("Tonightx3"). And as noted by many folks earlier, between Phil and Genesis, it seemed Phil was everywhere.

GENESIS SONGS FROM THE 1980s:
    Misunderstanding
    That's All
    Illegal Alien (great video)
    Invisible Touch
    Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
    Throwing It All Away
    In Too Deep
    Land Of Confusion

PHIL COLLINS SONGS FROM THE 1980s:
    In The Air Tonight
    You Can't Hurry Love
    I Missed Again
    I Don't Care Anymore
    One More Night
    Sussidio
    Billy Don't Lose That Number
    Take Me Home
    Groovy Kind of Love
    Two Hearts
    Do You Remember?
    I Wish It Would Rain Down
    Another Day In Paradise
    Something Happened On The Way To Heaven

Phil had so many hits, I completely forgot about the "Buster" songs.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I loved that video. It's one of the first videos I remember.

I can't believe someone remade it. Someone remade Heart of the Matter, and they play it at my work now. I want to stab my ears it's so bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted