1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Song lyrics as ledes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pickensp, Jul 22, 2011.

1. pickensp

pickensp New Member

I have a colleague who started a story about senior legion baseball by referencing Meat Loaf's "Two out of Three ain't bad" because the team won two of its final three games.

I think it sounds ridiculous, but polling our newsroom, it seems my editor is OK with it. What is everyone else's take on using song lyrics or other pop culture references in ledes?
  2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think there's a fine line. It's either got to be so old that it's well-known, or it's got to be SO current that everyone will get it. If you're using a Rebecca Black lead now, you should be fired.
  3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Song-lyric ledes, 99.9 percent of the time, are hack work, especially if they reference Sammy Hagar lyrics.
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

So my "One shot, two shots, MAS TEQUILA!" lede doesn't work for high school hoops?
  5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I had no idea "two out of three ain't bad" was a line from a song.
  6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Neither will, "Only time will tell if what the Bumfuck High team accomplished tonight will stand the test of time."
  7. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Right now, Bumfuck High is eating orange slices and getting ready to go out to pizza despite losing 162-12.
  8. It's like sleeping with a fat girl ...
    It's something we have all done. Thought it was OK, maybe cool at the time, but it hindsight ... (facepalm) ... It's something you don't want to dredge up in a clips file.
  9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I once quoted Lloyd Dobler from "Say Anything" in a lede. Used his quote about looking for a "dare to be great situation." I thought it worked, but you never know.
  10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

My favorite lede:
    A certain poster wanted to find out if using song lyrics in ledes was acceptable in a sports story.
    Mission accomplished.

I had a writer on my staff that used this at least once a month. I bitched every time, but he kept doing it. Of course he was the slowest sportswriter in history, as well, so I would be rewriting his lede two minutes before deadline on any given night.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Never is the correct answer to this question. Extra credit if you have multiple adverbs and swear words in front of "never."
  12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I want someone to say something about orange slices in a youth sports story. That would be impressive.
Draft saved Draft deleted