1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something's in my Attic!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, May 18, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Man, the trials and tribulations of home ownership continue at the Incaviglia home.

Yesterday, I heard something crawling around in the ceiling above my attached garage. I never thought much of it. I thought — and now I think I'm wrong — the garage attic space was separate from the attic above my second floor.

Not so.

Tonight, as I'm loading up laundry in our bedroom, I hear something crawling around up there.

There's a hatch to get into the attic in our closet, but I'll be dammed if I'm peaking in. There's also a hatch (at floor level!) under the angled ceiling and to the left of the window dormer in my daughter's room. Again, I ain't peakin' in.

Anyone know of a way to get rid of squirrels or raccoons without paying the high cost of an exterminator? If I can do it myself — without confronting whatever vermin it is — I will.

Thanks!

2. mb

mb Active Member

d_B. ;D

Somebody call write-brained

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This device saved my sanity in NYC. We just use it for mice, but it is designed for rats and squirrels if need be. Raccoons might be a bit much.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Buy a cat.

5. Pete Incaviglia

A cat lives next door and roams pretty free. But that hasn't stopped a raccoon from dropping by this week.

I saw a raccoon on our deck five nights ago. He was pretty big. And, my wife left the garage door open until about 11 p.m. a few nights ago and something pecked around the garbage.

I assume it was the raccoon or a cat.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

critter in the attic aside, this is dangerous.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Yes. I know. Now she does, too.

There has been ZERO edible trash in the garage since.

8. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

First you need to know what the critter is...

Raccoon needs to be trapped or shot. If you get a cat and it goes up against an adult raccoon, you will be burying the cat. Now of course you could get a puma - - but that might piss your neighbors off just a tad especially those with young children/grandchildren.

Squirrel can be trapped or it can be "convinced to move elsewhere" with the introduction of a cat.

Possum needs trapping or shooting.

Rat needs to be gotten rid of ASAP. Cats usually do the trick here.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Jeeze, Jack. Your post has me shitting the bed.

I don't think it's a rat. I've never seen a rat in this city. In fact, I've never heard anyone in two years mention the word rat.

And, like I said, I've seen a raccoon on the deck — twice.

Also, when the home inspector went through our house back in March, he noticed something "had been living in the attic." He thought it was a squirrel. He also though it was gone.

I think he was wrong.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm pretty sure this isn't what he was talking about.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I had a raccoon go through my garbage a couple of time in an old townhome, so I bought some cheap cayenne pepper and dusted the trash with it. That did the trick for a good six months.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Man, that's brilliant. I'm going to try that. It's cheap.

Draft saved Draft deleted