1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something to read: eticket revisits Chocolate Thunder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I didn't pay much attention to the NBA until I moved to Dallas, but for everyone else, Choc was the man.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dawkins' shattered backboard is one of my first sports memories. Love the photo of the Kings with their last names under their uniform number. Ahh the 1970s.

That was good stuff. The pictures--particularly the last burst, the ones that include Dawkins hugging his daughter--were really powerful.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

TNT video feature on Dawkins breaking backboards:

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Good Story. I lived in Winnipeg and went to 3 games when he coached here.

Very nice guy, drove a limo around town as his personal vehicle. He came into the club I worked at once and was very low key but was super cool to me when I marked out.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The one characteristic I know Friend got was his unpretentiousness. When he was the coach of the USBL's ValleyDawgs, he was very accomodating to our USBL writer ... and this wasn't his team.

Might be the world's biggest Peter Pan. At one USBL draft, he took Jameer Nelson with his first-round pick. Caused the local USBL coach to deadpan that he should have taken Emeka Okafor. Fun days ...

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Good story.
    I followed the Sixers as they pestered my Hawks (on WTCG/TBS) in the postseason.
    Another diaper dandy, Moses, played for Philly some of those years.
    That roster was loaded and it's nice to read about what Dawkins was experiencing at the time.
    Never knew a fight turned the Blazers finals series like that.
    Good read.

7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Nice work, Tom, my Montgomery County, Md., homeboy.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Dawkins might've been the naturally strongest, quickest, most powerful 6'11" man to ever live. Now if he'd just taken the time and done the off court work to refine some actual basketball skills....

Draft saved Draft deleted