1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something only Laurence Maroney fantasy owners will care about....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Msaint, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, when faced with similar faux adversity, I can never bring myself to view fantasy fucking football with such a philosophical view. Kudos.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I think I like the term "faux adversity" a lot.

3. Msaint

Msaint Member

A guy named David Yudkin who writes for footballguys.com, via a source he claims to have within the Pats organization, called the Morris-going-on-IR situation days before it happened, and seems to have a reliable gut feeling/viable source in the Kremlin, er, Belichick's office in Foxboro. Here's his take on the Morris/Maroney situation as it pertains to the rest of the year. Some is pretty obvious (Pats were disappointed with LM's durability down the stretch last season) but you gotta give him props for playing Kreskin re: Sammy Morris, or at least having a good source that fed him some credible info out of Gillette, which is not an easy thing to do.

"My crystal ball is in the shop right now, but if I had to GUESS, I would say the odds are probably 50/50 that Morris will be put on IR. I don't have anything remotely close to hang my hat on with regard to that one, and to be clear that is MY OPINION. As for my Patriots source, he has suggested to me that:

- The Pats are so focused on playing the Colts right now that he won't be able to get much info on the Morris situation this week as it is totally on the back burner for the team. I should be able to follow up on this next week once the Colts game has been completed and the team off for awhile.

- The team will reevaluate Morris' situation, condition, and timeline to get back on the field in the two weeks surrounding their bye week to assess what his chances of contributing this year are. From what I can tell, his injury and status are more severe than is being reported currently. We all know the Pats won't say anything about it, making it very difficult to report on what is not being addressed. All I know is that my guy is not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about Morris and his health is a serious concern. His overriding OPINION is not to expect much heading forward from Morris (but even he has nothing official to go on).

The team was very disappointed in that he (Maroney) never was able to make a big impact late in the season last year and into the post season. NE lost out on another SB title last year due to their inability to run the ball and they were counting on Maroney pushing Dillon to the curb by the end of the season last year. Clearly that did not materialize. I have been saying all season that the plan was to get Maroney more integrated into the offense as the season progressed and a full workload in December to get him primed for the playoffs."

What that says to me is that BB, having been burnt last year in the backfield, has purposely limited Maroney Weeks 1-8 of this season, regardless of his "injuries," so that he'll be fresher Weeks 8-16 and into playoffs than last year. So as a Maroney owner who just traded for him prior to last weekend's games in the hopes that A) Morris was indeed done and B) BB was indeed playing possum, this insight was music to my ears. It means a lot of work for LM in November and December, i.e. home stretch and fantasy playoffs.

Translation: the window to buy Maroney low is closing rapidly...and [praying]after he runs 23 times for 114 yards and an elusive TD against Indy's fantastic rush D on Sunday[/praying], it'll be closed for good.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not sure this constitutes 'calling it.'

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Fixed.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1410672/

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Playing possum? The Pats are eighth in the NFL with 136 yards per game. Not exactly playing possum. The issue probably is, when you have the passing offense New England has this season, why run when you don't have to?

8. You're easily pleased.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Don't tell the bf.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

She made that abundantly clear when she befriended me.

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Dillon's still on the unemployment line. Who wants odds he gets re-upped by NE around Tuesday ?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fargin' bastages!

Oh ... wrong Maroney.

Draft saved Draft deleted