1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something new: Columbia University football going without fat guys on O-line

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Sep 14, 2012.

1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

A few of my friends and I used to take Vegas (and bookthebet.com) to the cleaners in Arena Ball. We'd bet on the first 3-4 weeks of af2 and rack up. Then we'd bet one game a week that was a lock. I think we lost 4 times in 3 years. If there were lines on the af2, somebody has something on Ivy League games.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I see your point but I've talked to some FCS coaches over the years who believe they'd do better than people think.

The feeling is that the top programs in the league already get pretty decent FCS-level athletes, just not as many as the top scholarship schools.

However, the thinking is that if you could now sell an Ivy League education along with a chance to play for a national title then the opportunity looks a lot more appealing for better players who have the academic resume to get in. They could start peeling some kids away from FBS schools like Vanderbilt, Norhwestern, Duke, Stanford and the service academies.

That may not sound like a deep pool of talent but if you take a mid-level FBS kid and put him on an FCS team, he's going to be a pretty good player.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Was she 265 LBS?

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Perhaps that's true, but it also holds true for the basketball champions, the baseball champions, the soccer champions, etc., all of whom get the chance to play in postseason that the Ivy League denies football players.

Some of Penn's teams from the 1990s- early 2000s and some of Harvard's better recent teams could have competed very well in the playoffs. The bigger point is, they should get the chance.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I used to bet Ivy League football and basketball all of the time in the late 80s, but that was with my local bookie. I made an insane amount of cash on the hoops action.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Agree they should get the chance. I'm just pretty much going off the Ivy League's non-conference games. they usually play the Patriot League and the teams are pretty evenly matched. The Patriot League just decided to begin awarding athletic aid in football so it will be interesting to see if they start to dominate Ivy League teams.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2012/March/Patriot+League+adopts+football+scholarship+model

before the Patriot League when Holy Cross gave scholarships they were pretty dominant (the Gordie Lockbaum teams and until the early 90s - think that's when they joined the Patriot League). the Patriot League really isn't at the level of the CAA but that could change.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what kind of Offense that Columbia runs?

8. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Unsuccessful.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Did they force her to keep her weight under 255?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Most if not all the Ivys are giving huge grants to virtually all of their students, athletes inlcuded. If you fit the academic profile, cost really isn't an issue at this point.

11. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Roar, lions, roars! 1-0! ...and I made a killing during my morningside years wageringIvy hoops

Draft saved Draft deleted