1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Something I couldn't do when I was in newspapers"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stitch, Jan 15, 2011.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I work as a copy editor for a financial news service. Granted, I'd been out of sports for a while, but this is the first non-newspaper gig. It's a different kettle of fish from sports, for sure, but it's numbers and jargon, so it's not that big a transition when you get down to it.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Be political. Not crazy political, but at least throw an Obama sticker on my car.

3. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Damn, the quote function got screwed up.

He said he never drank, and I was saying he was an oak. Like an oak tree. Solid. Doesn't sway.

Doc asked Wyatt, hypothetically, what would he do if the pretty woman walked in front of him. Wyatt said he would ignore her. Doc said Wyatt was full of crap. Well, low and behold, she just so happened to walk in, walk right in front of Wyatt and made eyes at him.

Wyatt ignored her.

Doc Holliday: I stand corrected, Wyatt. You're an oak.

You probably didn't want that much, but I just really, really love that movie.

4. Even though I have no idea what that's from, that does make things a little clearer.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Tombstone, I believe.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Two chicks at the same time.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Two chicks. Period.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

One thing that hasn't changed for me: I still think about work constantly.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That thing with the cherry stem.

10. GermanKeyser

GermanKeyser Member

What's it like having a regular conversation with people and them not being paranoid about letting something slip that could make the paper?

Draft saved Draft deleted