1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something good at Walmart NEW UPDATE

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Apr 11, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Something good at Walmart

First dog, no question.
    Second dog? Right now, first dog isn't thrilled to share attention.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

First dog should adjust. Might even get protective of the little one.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Friends of ours were in a similar situation. First dog and our dog grew up together.
    When that couple brought in a second dog, a stray from her job that saw its sister get killed by a car, the first dog withdrew. It likes the second dog, plays with it and growls at times. But the spark went out. And we dont want that to happen to Dottie.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

As I'm sure PC will tell you, know that if it's a border collie, that's a higher level of commitment than most dogs. Because they're so smart, they require a lot of stimulation, challenge and exercise, and if they don't get it they'll expend their energy being destructive. They're amazing dogs, but not the kind you can just let out to pee twice a day.

Don't know what your lifestyle is like, Slap, as far as a yard and time to spend on your dog(s), but that's something to keep in mind.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Must....resist....incisor...reference....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Make that FOUR sizes too small.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Day two:
    It made it through the night, for the most part. Cried about 1:30 and howled at 6:30 getting me up.. Bathed him again this morning with flea/tick hoping it will help with the mangy mites, but it still bothers him. The vet awaits tomorrow morning for mange and deworming.
    Dottie has still yet to see him today, who knows how she'll act.
    He's chewing on things in the office and today, while I showered and shaved before church, he lay down in the bathroom on my clothes and napped.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

We adopted two months ago from the local shelter. A litter of five beautiful puppies, all male and all the same color. We liked Riggins, because he had this little white line atop his nose.
    [​IMG]
    That was Feb. 10. He was 2 1/2 months old, and eight pounds. He is now coming up on month No. 5 and now around 25 pounds. He's an Australian Shepherd mix, and we think there is some hound or beagle in him (because of his coloring).
    A sweet, sweet boy that is not all that destructive (though that bed is no longer with us, the victim of a puppy in search of stuffing). Smart, too — he's about 90 percent potty-trained. The other 10 percent is really just not having a big enough bladder to hold it through the night and when he is home alone for a few hours.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Absolutely dead-on accurate. They're great dogs, but they're a lot of work.

10. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Like what you did there, Slapster.
    I was in a similar situation 2 years ago. We got a cocker spaniel 2 weeks after we got married - he was 6 mos old then, so he was 5 by then.
    We were driving down a road in our neighborhood one summer day in the middle of a lightning storm and there was a stray spaniel mix running along the road - cars were literally running out of their way not to hit her. We pulled over and saw she had a shock/invisible fence collar on, but no tags. We got her in our car and took her home - she was filthy, too hairy, infested with fleas and, as we later found out, worms. We bathed her, took her to the vet for shots/etc and she didn't have any microchipping or anything like that. We notified the vets and shelters in town and put up fliers all over the neighborhood... nothing. She was ours - we named her Stormy.
    Dog No.1 hated her at first, ignored her, but gradually grew to tolerate her and then get along with her. 2 years later, they're like a matched pair... each has carved out their own favorite areas to lounge/relax, etc. Stormy has actually made our cocker spaniel younger and they're good for each other, and good for us, now that we finally have her house-trained (we don't think she had ever been inside before).
    I think you'll find this is the right move. Just take the pup to the vet and make sure nothing's wrong with him.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh, I know he's got issues... so do I. But I don't have the mange -- yet.

12. Re: Something good at Walmart

I am 100 percent on board with this becoming a "post your puppies" thread. Screw the haters.

No offense to the purebred lovers out there, but I will never have anything but the muttiest of mutts.

Draft saved Draft deleted