1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something going on in Memphis?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not sure what to make out of this. A real good guy , cartoonist Bill Day, was laid off. Makes me think that others will soon be following suit.
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003953273

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Newspaper cartoonists are the dodo birds of the industry.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Thank you Captain Obvious. Now for you next trick....

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Newspaper ad revenue is down, too.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Making you disappear?

6. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

http://www.memphisflyer.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A57447

"In a meeting late Tuesday, Warren Funk, consulting with human resources, rejected talk of temporary wage cuts to save jobs. Then he informed us that management now plans to increase the number of job cuts in editorial to 19, up from a previously announced 18, and the number in circulation/customer service to seven, up from a previously announced four."

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dude, you have all the other threads to play on. This isn't one of them. You have a specific beef, send it as a PM. Some people are actually using this thread for information.
    Thanks

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

>Captain Obvious
    >using this thread for information

facepalm.jpg

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Droop has a heightened sense of the oblivious.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Let's not forget that people get laid off all the time in individual cases, in good times and bad. I certainly hope this doesn't portend of more crap coming, but let's ease off the anxiety pedal a bit. There's enough crap to deal with than to go running every time a pin drops.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Clutch, I've known Bill since 1980. Does fine work. When a guy like that gets the axe, I can't help but pay attention. He's too damn good to be shit canned, yet it has happened. And since the CA has had some problems, it's worth noting.

12. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

You consider 19 people in editorial a pin dropping?

Draft saved Draft deleted