1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something a parent should never have to do.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Bury their own child.

Well, some close, personal friends of mine are going through this right now.

For the third time.

One from a suicide, one from a severe form of diabetes, and this past Sunday morning, lost their third from cancer, and the fourth is paralyzed from a horse accident a couple years ago.

I cannot even fathom this.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Oh, hell. I'm with you. I just can't even imagine that.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh my freakin' gawd! are these people KENNEDYS?! no one should ever be put through multiple tests like these. NO ONE! :eek: :mad: :'(

what do you even say to them? ??? ??? ???

funny, this thread goes perfectly with the ones on "parenthood" and "something a parent should never have to.." and "jenny mccarthy/autism."

yup, being a parent can suck balls.... :( :( :(

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When he was a kid, my Dad used to travel around town with his beloved grandfather, who sold caskets. He never forgot the time they had to deliver a child-sized one.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You beat me too it. The Kennedy's are the most unlucky family ever.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

A close friend of mine had to do that ... and that was after the little one showed every sign of beating the odds for almost two years. Heartbreaking.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't even know these people, but my prayers go out to their family.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I still remember when my 11th grade English teacher was telling us about some lesson plan and then switching topics right into what the title of this thread is. I can still hear his voice as he said that about how a parent should never have to bury a kid because it just isn't supposed to happen.

Like Shoeless Joe said, my thoughts and prayers are with the family, and to you too, Chef.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

One of the saddest things I've ever had to go through was when one of my best friends' wife delivered a very premature baby that lived less than a day. The poor child's casket was about the size of a shoe box, and I remember the priest who was doing the graveside service tried to be upbeat and failed miserably, almost to the point of being offensive.

I'll send a prayer out to your friend, chef. Sounds like they need all the help they can get.

10. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Wrote the obituary a year of so ago for a friend of the family whose little girl died suddenly of SIDS. Those couple of paragraphs, and then going to the funeral home to see the little one in her casket, were a couple of the toughest things I've ever had to do.

11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

My sympathies to the family - most definitely.

My wife's grandmother has had to do the same thing. She's 86, and both of her children died at 62, both from cancer. And, my wife died at 42, months after her mother in 2008.

I've taken my wife's grandmother to my mother-in-law's grave several times. In the fall, we placed a wreath on the grave. Damn, that was hard. My wife's grandmother still drives, but she wants me to drive her when we go there.

It's something that's tough to do, regardless of the child's age. I definitely feel for your friends.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Nothing in the world scares me more.

A poker buddy of mine had his wife back over their two-year-old with an SUV.

Draft saved Draft deleted