1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone's going to get killed in my kids' high school parking lot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WolvEagle, Sep 29, 2009.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My friends and I were known to "surf" on the roof of my buddy's minivan at speeds approaching 35 miles per hour in the parking lot of a local park that was always deserted at night. I've definitely wondered how it is I never suffered any major injuries as a youngster (worst was a broken shoulder playing backyard football. Nothing else ever came close).

2. KG

KG Active Member

I could qualify for an award for the dumb shit I did as a teen.

WE, Be REALLY careful when it rains. The same kind of stuff went on at my niece's school, and almost every time it rained, a car was totaled within a mile of the school.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Yeah, there are rent-a-cops. They don't give a crap, though.

4. WolvEagle

I'm going to send him an e-mail. I've got to be very careful in what I write, though. Almost all of the crap is being done by boys from one ethnic group (and I'm not in that group). The principal, though, is. There's tension between the kids from this ethnic group and those who aren't.

I don't have anything against any ethnic group. I just don't want to see someone get hurt or killed, and I don't want anything bad to happen to my family.

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Wolv, ethnic group or no, the school has a duty to keep the kids safe in and around the campus. If there are no teachers doing parking lot duty, it is possible (although unlikely) that the administration is unaware of just how bad the problem has become. Send your email and if nothing changes within a week or so, send it again with a cc to the superintendent. There is no reason you should have to worry about your safety when you are picking up your kids.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Guessing it's not Caucasian group that you are referring to. They would not be athletic enough to safely jump on bumpers of moving vehicles.

The danger in our area are mothers in gigantic SUVs texting and balancing their afternoon lattes while waving to Muffy.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

We had a certain ethnic group at my old high school that would do dumb stuff like sit on the trunk of a moving car, race in the parking lot, but in general all of the kids were bad drivers and still are.

8. KG

KG Active Member

I partook in some really stupid stuff involving cars when I was a teen, but it was on back country roads, with no other cars around. That doesn't make it okay, but at least I wasn't endangering others.

9. fitnessscribe

fitnessscribe Member

If it's bad enough, why not place a call to the cops and have them sit there a couple of mornings and see how bad it is? If it's a safety hazard, the police should be aware of it.

10. WolvEagle

Most days, there is a cop in the lot, near the traffic light. The cop never leaves his car.

I just sent a respectful e-mail to the principal. I'll keep you guys posted.

11. KG

KG Active Member

^^^^^
    ::) ::) ::) ::)

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Are there speed bumps in the parking lot?

Draft saved Draft deleted