1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone With A Toddler PLEASE Help?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jul 7, 2010.

1. T2

T2 Member

Simulating caterpillars with pipe cleaners doesn't sound like a good idea to me. If she actually sees wormy things in her bed, won't that visual experience reinforce her fears, which until now have been only imaginary?

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

It does not sound like night terrors which is more trance like. It sounds like bad dreams.

We had the same issue with our 2 year old only it was with "monsters in my room"

I had her show me where the monsters were and in a loud voice said "MONSTERS GO AWAY" and then had her repeat it.

We also moved the bookcase where the monsters were hiding to show that there were no monsters.

FWIW she grew out of it.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Pete,

I would have a discussion with her today about caterpillars and remind her that they are nothing to be afraid of. They don't hurt people and they turn into butterflies.

And maybe draw some butterfly pictures.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My daughter had the whole bad dream thing -- we told her that there were no monsters, but if they ever came back, they were afraid of the light and we gave her a little flashlight to keep by the bed.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Get some gummy worms, put them on the bed and tell her, "Don't worry, Daddy eats them!"

And put away a little cash for later therapy.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

By later, you mean August, right?

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My boys are older now (11 & 8) but yeah I admit I overreacted whenever they had a problem thinking we were setting the wrong precedent allowing them to sleep with us. These things were almost always 1 day things and they got over them. Good luck.

We never had a caterpillar infestation but who knew that 100 monsters could fit in a closet?

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Things were as normal as could be today. Nary a mention of caterpillars - or any other sort infestation or invasion.

Went straight to bed when asked — actually asked "Is it bedtime yet?" at one point.

Kids never cease to amaze me.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Loved the one about Teddy standing guard.

Also loved the gummy worms reference — and, of course, Slappy's response.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Teach her about the butterfly effect. Then have her watch Inconvenient Truth.

10. Freud says that caterpillars represent tiny penises. If your daughter is afraid of them or repelled by them - this may be her subconscious trying to come out as a lesbian. By any chance - does she like to have her hair cut short?

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do you drive a Subaru?

12. Or watch the WNBA?

Draft saved Draft deleted