1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone was watching over ye ol Chef this afternoon.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, May 30, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Get the popcorn ready;

Had to go from my house in western KS to Lincoln, NE this morning.....I left my house at 1:15.

It's right at 6 1/2 hours one way.....I know what you're thinking....."you dumb bastard, why you leaving in the middle of the night?"

I was supposed to umpire 2 18-year old Legion Games tonight at 6 and 8, and I absolutely had to go to Lincoln today to get the stuff I needed for my client.

So, I figure I leave at 1:15, I'm there by 8-ish.....leave at 9, back by 3:30 or 4, take a nap, do my games.

Well, then.....

On my way back, I noticed some awkward noises coming from the pickup I was driving, (and no, the noises weren't coming from me)

I stopped on the side of I-80 a couple of different times, gave it a once-over, and it was fine.

I'm in the inside lane doing about 80, and all of a sudden, I hear a pop, and my truck makes a 90 degree turn right. There is a semi to my immediate right. I've got very little brakes. I use what brakes I do have to slow it down to dart behind the truck to my right, (and thank God, there wasn't anyone directly behind him) to get it to the shoulder.

I get out of the pickup, look at the front right wheel.......the tire and hub were still intact, but bent at about a 30 degree angle. Apparently, the wheel bearing and the stimble had snapped, which caused me to dart right.

So, I call a repair shop, they come get me and the truck, take me to the shop, and he says "I don't know how the truck didn't roll. You wouldn't have made it, because the driver's side bearing and stimble are both cracked, and would have done the same thing before you got home."

I spent exactly 6 hours and 2 minutes in the repair shop waiting for them to fix my truck, but I didn't seem to mind. Took a couple of naps, watched some golf, and thanked God I was alive.
  2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I just had my right front wheel bearing replaced. It gets loud gradually so you don't notice how loud it is, but now that it's been replaced, I notice how quiet it is now.

Thank God you didn't roll and get hurt, Chef. You're right. Someone was watching over you.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

1. Glad you're okay.

2. What make and model? I want to add to my "avoid" list.
  4. Chef

Chef Active Member

04 Ford F150
  5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Wow. Glad you're okay, Chef. If I was in that situation, I would have probably been shitting my pants and not live to tell the tale.
  6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wait a minute...Will Leitch is God?
  7. Chef

Chef Active Member

Oh, and then I amputated my foot afterwards, you dumb shit!
  8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome. Thanks for stepping in following a rare misstep by me (get it? misstep?), Chef.

Glad you and your two remaining limbs are OK, too! :D
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Huh. Had my money on a Dodge Dakota of that vintage, or perhaps a year or two older.
  10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Great. Just another reason for me not to buy Ford.
  11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Todd Tichenor.
  12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome. How come I didn't say that? I'M SUCH AN IDIOT!!!!
Draft saved Draft deleted