1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone should have invoked the 15-minute rule a little sooner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Spartan Squad, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I checked to see if this was already posted, but seeing none, I'll go ahead and share this tragic, albeit morbidly funny, tale.

It appears as though someone at the University of Pennsylvania didn't getting around to telling some students the little matter of their professor's death before the first day of school.

http://news.yahoo.com/no-show-professor-had-excuse-died-april-152445587.html

And its not like it had just happened: They had months to cancel the class! I feel like something like this would have happened at San Jose State, but not at an Ivy League school.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Penn forgot to cross him off the list

How does the University of Pennsylvania not cancel a fall semester class - or at least find a sub - when they knew the teacher died in April?

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20110920_ap_noshowprofessorhadexcusehediedinapril.html

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Re: Penn forgot to cross him off the list

I thought Sean Penn was up to something again.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Is that an automatic A?

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Only the best and the brightest in the Ivy League.

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I would call it a D..or maybe a B.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/86118/

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Would that be a D for making a d_b of a post less than a minute before mine and a B for having the better subject line? ;D

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Yes, he is indeed late.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I assume this isn't How He Met Your Mother.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

My personal favorite "where the hell is the teacher" story:

At San Diego State, I had an English composition class one semester. First day, I walk in and sit down. No professor yet. It goes past the top of the hour and about 6-7 minutes past, still no professor, and I start making small talk with a couple people next to me, "so is the instructor going to miss his first class?" and a guy from the other row I hadn't noticed before, I figure he's in his late 20s, early 30s (graduate student, perhaps), pipes in with "We should just leave now and report him to the department."

I remarked we should give him 15 minutes, then turn to answer another student's question, and a couple of seconds later I hear "Hi, everyone, I'm (name) and I'll be your instructor," and it's that 20-30 year-old guy I just talked to. He just hung out at a desk like an ordinary student just to see how his class handled the instructor not being there.

At home that evening, I relayed the story to my roommate, and he immediately said, "Oh, you're in (name)'s class. I had him last year and he did the same thing." BTW, the guy was a cool teacher, and I enjoyed the class.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Same thing happened to me in a math class at a JC I went to. I was sitting in the back and this guy, looked like he might be 22 at the oldest, comes in and sits next to me. We start chatting and I tell him I hope the teacher isn't a douchebag. He walks up to the front of the class, writes his name on the board and when the class is done filing in, says "My name is Ernie, I will be your instructor for the quarter and, contrary to what you may think, I am not a douchebag."

Turned out to be a great teacher.

12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Henry Teune was my Poli Sci professor when I was a freshman at Penn.

He was indeed an excellent teacher.

RIP...

Draft saved Draft deleted