1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone please point a gun at Huckabee for laughs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, May 16, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The NRA is missing a major PR moment if it doesn't denounce Huckabee's joke. The reaction of the crowd showed the members didn't think it was funny. Put out a statement saying "NRA members are law-abiding gun owners and would never point a firearm at Obama, McCain or any other Presidential candidate."

2. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

What was supposed to be funny about that? It's not like was an off color joke that just didn't work with that audience or something. There is no humor in that comment, it's just weird. At least Huckabee realized he blew it badly and apologized.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Now if Huck had stolen another Eddie Murphy joke and said Obama had ducked to avoid Momma throwing a shoe at him, that would've been much funnier.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

There is probably no bigger supporter of the NRA on these threads than me.

There is probably no greater defender of our second amendment rights on these threads than me.

There are probably only a few other people on these threads who are licensed to carry and do legally carry on most occassions as I do.

And all of that being said, Huckabee's comments were the kind of irresponsible, idiotic, not funny at all, things that give those of us who are law-abiding citizens and legal gun owners a bad name and give credence to the label of "gun-wielding nuts" we work so hard to try and shed every time some lunatic decides to shoot up a McDonalds or a college campus.

That's why nobody laughed -- because what he said wasn't funny, it was just plain stupid.

I think Huckabee stands for many of the right things but these comments make me question (a) his intelligence and (b) makes me wonder how sane he is.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Who me?
    [​IMG]

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Your Huckabee would.

I'd really love to see this wimp get tough in a bar without a weapon.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Was this a gun joke or a joke about Obama potentially getting assassinated? Could go either way, really.

If it's the former, it's odious (my word of the day). If it's the latter, it's off-the-charts irresponsible.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

You carry a weapon with you "on most occassions[sic]"? Unless you are a law enforcement officer or rancher, then it must be true -- the nuts do cling to their guns.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anybody go to this convention? I mean doesn't it seem like overkill (no pun intended) when the GOP trots out Huckabee, Romney, Fox New Contributor Karl Rove, John Bolton, Ollie North and John McCain to stir up the NRA?

10. Ollie North?
    You mean the arms dealer who sold weapons illegally to a terrorist-state in order to finance his own terrorist army?
    That Ollie North?
    Responsible gun owners?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Like so many of his ilk:

Tone-deaf.

Utterly.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Huckabee better hit his knees and pray to his God that nothing happens to Obama. Otherwise, he may just find himself with the FBI pounding down his door.

Draft saved Draft deleted