1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone IS dumb enough to hire Mark Madden

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Maybe the station is about to flip formats and go talk.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Highly doubtful, there is already one FM talker in the market, and they don't do that well. They have Limbaugh, that's about their only relatively strong point.

3. 105.9 FM in Pittsburgh has a morning rush hour show featuring talk and music with former ESPN 1250 sports personality Tim Benz with Bob McLaughlin as his side kick. 105.9 is the home of the Penguins and because of Madden's connection (or should I say fandom) with the Penguins and hockey, it makes sense to have the time slot in the FM dial for 3-6 knowing, Madden won't have much competition against ESPN 1250 or FOX 970 until Ellis Cannon arrives at 6 pm on 104.7 (republican station).

There's plenty to dislike about Mark Madden and history has proven he's never learned his lesson after he firing so the move by 105.9 FM clearly is a risk.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

And also for the simple fact his show ain't that good. They can spin the numbers all they want, he just isn't the radio God he tells us all he is.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That abomination with Benz is still on?

6. BYM2 - I think if Benz had to do it over again, he would have stayed at ESPN 1250 because if you heard the travesty that is his show with the dumb redneck jokes and commentary, he's never going to be more than a 2nd tier local guy. I like Tim and have been hoping the opportunity to take Madden's time slot would have happened by now so it is obvious the ESPN folks don't think too highly of him. It was the obvious move for the station and himself.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Both 1250 and 970 have abysmal signals, Benz goofed because it's not like he moved to a better station.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If I had to choose between Cowturd and Madden? Boo ts

9. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

Benz was more full of himself with less reason to be than anyone I have ever come across in radio. Everyone he worked with in Columbus depised him. Benz was former PD Kevin Graham's pet, and I'm not surprised at all to hear he's been failing now that he's on his own.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

That's not as nuts as it sounds.
    A rock station in Cincinnati hired two former sports guys, The Two Angry Guys, to do a morning show. They BS for a while, do a little sports, play some songs. Ratings have been good.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Not too mention that Madden is way into rock and metal and has, at times, on his sports show interviewed guys from bands like UFO and nickleback and even Poison. This kind of format would actually suit him perfectly.

12. danny_whitten

danny_whitten Member

Clear Channel owns 970, 104.7, and 105.9, among others in town. This allows Ellis to keep his solid ratings, but absolutely buries Joe Bendel on 970 from 3-7.

Draft saved Draft deleted