1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone explain this BS to me

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, May 13, 2008.

1. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

Yeah, God forbid one wanting to feel safe. I also can't wait until my new refrigerator gets delivered by some dude riding a bike.

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Feeling safe and being safe are two different things. A

And bike proponents saying we should do away with all cars, just make a handful of trips every week with a bike instead of a car.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But drilling in ANWR would make gas CHEAPER!!!!

$0.01 cheaper . . . in 2018.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've answered this before, but still haven't gotten it through. Oil is a necessity in our society. Not the way food and water are, but in the sense that to thrive in our world, one needs oil, whether for heat, transportation or manufacturing, it is an essential component of our economy and our lives.

By your line of thinking the oil companies could jack up the cost to $10/gallon because people will still pay it. They'll still pay it because they have to. Anyone who pretends there is a "choice" in the matter is being disingenuous. We can curb our oil usage, but we can't stop it.

In the meantime, people will no longer be spending their money in other parts of the economy and I think we all know what will happen then.

So, by all means, the oil companies should stop "being nice" and drive the country into another Great Depression.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Gas prices are the just the tip of the petroleum products indicator. Oil is an essential raw material for plastics, which extends to countless industries and services.

6. Grimace

Grimace Guest

That's the key sentence there. If we curb our use, truly curb our use, prices will go down. A 5-10 percent drop in cosumption would put a huge dent in prices.

What's the only realistic way to get a large number of people to stop driving as much? High prices.

I know it sounds cold, I know poor people would be affected most, but it's a painful process that's been coming for decades.

America's auto, drive-anywhere culture is coming to an end. And that's a good thing.

7. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

Why is it a good thing?

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Would your feelings on driving change if a truly viable and mass-produced alternative fuel came on the market?

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Ok, so let's assume that I live a mile from the grocery store. Someone will need to explain to me how in the hell I am supposed to actually get my groceries home. There is no way, even if I rode to the store every other day, that it would feasible for me to ride a bike home with the groceries and other household items I need for my family.

Riding a bike might be a solution for a very small percentage of the population, those living in areas where other locations, such as the bank or library, are close to home. But let's face it, for the majority of us, it's not an option.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The argument often used in this case is that we should plan better by a) living closer to work and b) living closer to the other necessities of life. But in places with urban sprawl, like Houston and surrounding areas, it's just not a realistic idea.

Besides, anyone who thinks I should ride to and from work or the grocery store in August in Houston is smoking crack. Plain and simple.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

We haven't built a refinery in over 30 years. All the licenses have been blocked.

We've been failed by every president, and every Congress, in this vein.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

AA rides his biketo work in August.

(slightly NSFW)

Draft saved Draft deleted