1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone explain this BS to me

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, May 13, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oil is now $127 a barrel. Who is beating off to that? Have you watched the price on the world oil markets steadily climbing the last few weeks? It was below $100 a barrel as recently as two or three months ago.

And BT, that "speculative" influence is not people just making up prices out of thin air. There is a market. Buyers and sellers. The market knows the price of oil is heading to $200 a barrel, as places like Saudi Arabia and Venezuala keep holding back on drilling more to limit supply to the world market, while demand in China, India and the emerging markets continues to increase. Buyers want in. No one is selling unless they can get a premium. It would be stupid to.

And people are investing, or speculating, because with the dollars in a free fall, this is one market that fundamentally looks to be offering higher prices in the future for people who were overexposed to the U.S., and promises to actually pay a return. No one is "speculating"--i.e. investing--to lose money.

These threads always elicit the worst, most irrational responses too. There is no conspiracy. There isn't enough oil to meet demand. The worse that situation gets, the higher prices get. Get used to it, because the price is not done going up.

2. Just now reading Jack Beatty's The Age Of Betrayal. There's a long passage about how much John D. Rockefeller hated free-market competition and how hard he worked to destroy it. Yergin's right. Oil has always been uniquely vulnerable to control-by-cartel. Argue about good-or-bad on that basis, but no oil company has truly exposed itself to market forces in an awfully long time.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Gas can go up 18 cents overnight because you and me and everyone else has little choice but to pay.

You can talk supply and demand and speculators and global markets and pipeline worries and trouble in Nigeria and all the economic factors you want, but for one second put yourself in the shoes of Mr. Convenience Store owner. If a higher price doesn't impact the number of gallons you sell, why wouldn't you put a few extra cents in your pocket?

There has to be a price where it has a great impact on our driving habits, but evidently we're not there yet.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This is the very definition of a market bubble. The dollar's drop in the last 18 months has been WAY disproportionate to the rise of the price of a barrel of oil.

The bigger the bubble grows, the bigger the pop. And the "beating off" will be to the joy of watching Joe Oil-Douche have to hock his BlueTooth after oil craters back to $40 a barrel.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Folks...she's spot on with this one. And trust me, we know from first-hand experience.

6. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

The Senate yesterday rejected, 56-42, an energy plan that called for opening the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska and some offshore waters that are now off limits to oil development.

Well, at least the paisley-beaked worbler is safe. We can all feel good about that.

7. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Oil prices are pegged to the dollar, ergo a weak dollar drives up the price. In addition, speculation is pushing the price of crude skywards. Increased demand from developing countries. They, too, want to drive SUVs.

Just as with tech stocks, hedge funds and housing, the speculation is pumping up a bubble.

Want to burst that bubble? Cut demand. That's coming as the consumer reacts to "market forces" -- those would be the bastards with their hands in my wallet.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yes, let's continue to rape the planet so you and yours can drive gas-guzzling SUVs.

What happens then, smartass, when the oil runs out in that area? Right back where we are.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Under that line of thinking we shouldn't be drilling anywhere.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

No...under the line of thinking from my argument, we shouldn't be drilling in an wildlife reserve. Big difference.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What about offshore?

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

With the waste and other secondary results that come with drilling offshore, the refuge could face ecological danger even then. With this administration's sometimes disregard for the environment and protections, I wouldn't trust them to do the job right even offshore.

Draft saved Draft deleted