1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone explain motorcycles to me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sirvaliantbrown, Sep 13, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Same here. Once I get going down the street, I just idle through the neighborhood.

2. three_bags_full

Heavy, they are. Overpriced? Not as much as most think, if any. Compare them to any other cruiser, and you'll see there's not much difference.

My first bike was a Custom. Good for a beginner bike and cheap. Very uncomfortable, though.

My second bike was a Dyna, a lowrider, and they are good bikes. But now I ride a Softail Night Train, and have been pleased with it. The seat's a little rough, but the ride is great.

I second the Rider's Edge and Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses. Both are great, even if you've never sat on a bike.

Although I don't wear a full-face helmet, I highly recommend an armored jacket.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Dude, STFU. And fuck you if you own a motorcycle.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And thank you, sir, for your rational and thoughtful contribution to this discussion.

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

No problem.

6. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Considering I doubt I'll ever venture into the Deep South, I won't hold my breath.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We're grilling on a football Saturday in a couple of weeks... you're invited...

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I look forward to it. If that's some sort of attempt to intimidate me, I'm not impressed.

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Oooooooooh.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Girls, girls, girls... can we not end this pissing match and agree there are things far more important? Like bashing SUV drivers....

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Moving on ...

Let me throw in this motorcycle. Although I'm not sure it's a motorcycle. But it sure looks like it could be one.

It's called the Can-Am Spyder. It's from the same company that makes Ski-Doo snowmobiles, among other things. In some states, you don't have to have a motorcycle endorsement. Its 998cc engine is nearly the same Rotax engine that Aprilia uses in its sportbikes. Like some high-end sport-touring bikes, it has an automatic transmission option. And people will look at you.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Having two wheels in front makes it very stable and those wide tires give it a lot of grip, even in the rain. Bloody expensive, though.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2008-canam-spyder-review-86706.html
    http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2008-canam-spyder-test-61047.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. three_bags_full

Interesting. Ugly, but interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted