1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone explain motorcycles to me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sirvaliantbrown, Sep 13, 2008.

1. If someone has a Something 300 bike, what does the 300 mean? Specifically, is the 300/600/1000 - whatever the number is - a measure of its power?

Sorry. Nobody rides motorcycles where I live. And I'm also stupid. Thank you very much.
  2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yes, the number is a measure of power. Specifically, it's the number of cubic centimeters displaced by the engines. Some manufacturers, specifically Harley-Davidson, use cubic inches. For example, my bike has an 88-cubic inch motor that displaces 1450 cubic centimeters.
  3. Thank you very much. One more question: what CC number would make the bike a "powerful" bike? Would you be able to give me some approximate "not powerful," "average," "relatively powerful," "crazily powerful" ranges?
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

CC = cubic centimeters

Bigger the number, the bigger the engine. Bigger engine equals more power.
  5. three_bags_full

I'd say anything over 750 CCs is a powerful bike. Anything over 1000 is not for a beginner.
  6. Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sirvallant, that all depends on if you're talking dirt bike or street cruiser.
  8. lono

lono Active Member

Motorcycle = A place organ donors sit until it's time to die.
  9. Oh. I'm talking street cruiser, I think...a regular not-for-dirt motorcycle.
  10. three_bags_full

What type of bike are you talking about:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

250cc-500cc: Good for new riders. Not much power.
    600cc-750cc: Plenty of power without being way too much power.
    1000cc: Crazy power, especially in sport bikes.
    Suzuki Hayabusa: Holy-fucking-shit :eek: :eek: :eek: power. (Bike does 198 mph. Stock.)

It's a bit different with cruisers, which are tuned more for low-end torque. But even then, a Harley big twin has a lot of kick to it. A 750cc-900cc cruiser is usually more than enough for anybody (and a helluva lot less expensive than cruisers in the "big twin" class). Mileage is a helluva lot better, too.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Universal Japanese motorcycle? Sport bike (crotch rocket)? Metric cruiser (Japanese)? Touring motorcycle (Gold Wing or similar)? Harley?
Draft saved Draft deleted